A Sacrificial Journey

Minoc is the city of Sacrifice located at the foot of the Crescent Mountains in the north of the main continent.

Moderator: Tanda Knighthawke

Tanda Knighthawke
City Governor
UO Shard: Great Lakes
Character Age: 153
Guild Affiliation: TGD/ The Grateful Dead

A Sacrificial Journey

Post by Tanda Knighthawke » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:57 pm

~Chapter One~
The rock strewn sheep pastures around Minoc feel so much a part of me. Years of wind, water and frost have either heaved rocks from below the ground or broken bits off the Crescent Mountains leaving the landscape rugged and beautiful. The terrain is uneven, cut banks and rocks hidden by tufts of tall grass, small hills lined with the worn paths of shepherds and sheep call to mind memories of childhood. Solitary early mornings walks while the dew is still upon the grass cool to my bare feet help me remain true to my roots.

My mind is heavy of late, thoughts of the “well -being” of Minoc, so I walked and I pondered. The city has changed from the times history recorded in musty smelling leather bound books with their vellum pages. When Julia still walked the city streets, Minoc was a sanctuary for those in need, the hub of artisans working their craft. Then there was the time that followed where the Thane and nobility ruled Minoc, a rigid time with laws that were unyielding and a pride in independence and self-determination even sparked skirmishes with Yew. Once the last nobles had fled the city Minoc vacillated, ebbing and changing with the clans as they sought to restore a government.

Gathering reagents, picking herbs and flowers are pleasant distractions; busy hands allow the mind to wander freely. Shifting from the worries of what will come tomorrow to the more immediate thoughts of breakfast for my husband John and I. Nettles and catnip to brew into tea, garlic to season the ground pork and lamb sausage, the ground we walk upon provides for nearly all that sustains us. With much of what I need in hand I return to the Grotto, find the ground meat, eggs, and the tea pot. The routine of making breakfast is nearly automatic allowing my mind return to thoughts of Minoc, I need to speak to one of the few old friends I have left that remembers Minoc’s past and mine.

My husband John is a good man, one of strong will and integrity, yet his soft brown eyes still show the compassionate and gentle man that is there as well. He is not a native of Minoc, but has come to love the city, defending both it and me. We have spent many long hours talking about our lives prior to our having met and married, and while I know I have his full support I am not entirely certain he sees the changes I do.

With breakfast plated, I travel to his office set a plate in front of him on the desk, and deposit my cup of tea, returning to fill his coffee cup. We often share a rather large serving on one plate, while he mulls over the bills of lading, invoices and inventory numbers as is customary on Monday mornings. Much of our life is regimented, predictable and orderly -- all traits one would not typically associate with a witch. Spend enough time raised by a widowed father and married to a warrior I suppose it becomes inevitable that some of that will sink in.

The morning's affairs now in order, I leave John to his work and go about mine. A magical flight to the City of Paladins to check in with employees of mine there, a pause at another shop to look up that old friend, finding him not available I decided to go visit The Britannian Consulate and Ministry of Foreign Affairs n Luna where Malag-aste Hla-ate has an office. There were a few helpful things I could do for the Governor’s Hall there.

Then I return to Minoc, to continue work on the estates left in the care of my good friend Melian. While sorting through another person’s lifetime of belongings you have time to think. The strife between Skara Brae and Jhelom, the whereabouts of Neptune, and increasingly the well-being of those stationed at Bordermarch continue to run through my mind. The recent caravan of supplies to the fortress went fairly well, injuries were manageable and most of the supplies made it to their destination. I cannot shake the sense that much of that was luck, that further use of such methods will be folly. Yet there is an inner voice telling me Sacrifice is more than a Virtue it is a duty.

Giving of myself has always been second nature to me; it was instilled in me before I could even walk. Not that I’d recall such lessons, but I witnessed some of it with my sister Francesca. Mother began with stories as she rocked and nursed her about how important it was to respect life, to be charitable, to freely give whatever you had to offer be it food, labor or knowledge. It was the way of the Herbbinder Coven to walk the path of light using the craft and alchemy to protect life.

When M’lord Shenstone of Britain came to Minoc, at the urging of his apprentice Tactus, we welcomed them. When it was discovered Tactus was a traitor, having betrayed our city along with Cove and Vesper, I found myself seething, my thoughts robbed of any sense of compassion, love or respect for this man. In the weeks that have passed it has not improved, I have asked our commander for the head of this apprentice if it is found.

Those that Tactus served continued until recently to plague the realm, having dealt a good deal of damage to Bordermarch, injuring many who serve there. They returned to attempt to finish the job as well as divert attention from their attack on Skara Brae. I find the death that was delivered to the traitors comforting, which is troubling. My many years as Justicar, my oath to my coven have most of my life kept my feet on the correct path. I have used my knowledge and energy to protect and heal. I can find no empathy for or desire for a trial of those we have killed. I must include myself even if my role has predominantly been to heal those in the throes of battle; there has been plenty of blood to go around.

At my urging we have planned a Naval Summit for all the ship captains holding letters of marque from Bordermarch, began the process of securing peace or trade agreements with Nujel’m, and we continue to work toward a peaceful co-existence between Skara Brae and Jhelom. I feel a certain kinship with King Blackthorn, one I believe born out of the philosophies he espoused as a young man. I am ever hopeful that he is indeed the man I believe him to be. Sir Magnus Grey is quite the enigma; much about him is not what it appears but I have no doubt his heart is true. Sir Sentri, what can one say other than the highland upbringing is evident. If peace can be brokered and secured I believe we have the leadership to achieve it.

In preparation for this I need to ready mind and spirit. I find I no longer know myself, I have found solace in the virtues for so long at this moment I find myself a rudderless ship a drift. Where have I lost my compassion and kindness? It is time to seek guidance from an external steadfast source. There will be much fasting, prayer and dancing over the next couple of weeks.
0 x

Tanda Knighthawke
City Governor

Re: A Sacrificial Journey

Post by Tanda Knighthawke » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:58 pm

~Chapter Two~

As the sun rises the light begins to shimmer over the bay. It is a peaceful sight to gaze upon from the roof top garden at the Grotto. Serenity and I ready for our day’s activity, we have spent a couple of days now moving wood, stone and water into location. With all our preparations in place, I walk through the house to John’s office. I greet him with a “Good morning dear” cross the room give him a kiss and sit on the corner of his desk. My husband looks at me, smiles at me.

“Serenity and I are ready to head out my dear.” My tone of voice is matter of fact. “When do you expect to be home?” John seems worried. He is almost always worried when I will be away from him, though he has long since accepted that it'll happen on occasion. “We should be back by breakfast tomorrow” I reply. He nods. Longer than he expected but he knows this must be. “How do I find you, should the need arise?” he asks trying to mirror my tone.

I dig around in the pocket of my dress, I find a rune, and I hand it to him. It is marked properly but not etched with a description. “I marked you a rune, my love. It'll land you near the cave we have readied.” With that in hand he gets up out of his chair and starts for the door. “I’ll see you out,” he says, and we will say our good-byes there.” Once downstairs, a hug and kiss and Serenity and I bid him farewell. John seems worried – he may not see the changes in me but also seems to accept what must be.

Serenity opens a gate and we both disappear through it. A few short minutes later we arrive outside the entrance of our home for the next twenty-four hours. We enter, the cave tunnel quickly narrows. Making our way through the tunnel we come to a boulder blocking the way – our door. It looks heavier than it is, especially for two witches. With the aid of a spell we move aside our door, and seal it up again to keep out as much draft as possible. A natural chimney hole exists in the roof of the cave, through which we can see the sun and the sky. The gaps around our door and the hole in the roof allow the smoke to escape.

Next we begin the task of creating the fire ring, stacking kindling and such for the fire. A brief incantation and the fire is brought to life, the walls of the cave flicker with the warm orange light. With that complete, Serenity and I disrobe as the ambient temperature of the cave begins to rise, with the rocks taking on the heat of the fire we begin to ladle water over them, taking care not to douse the fire.

It isn’t long before the steam fills the cave; it smells of wet soil and burning oak. Serenity and I glisten as the steam flushes the impurities from us, a ladle of water over the rocks, one for each of us. We chat a bit about our childhood, and compare notes on what we remember of the chanting and prayers we did during these as girls. With our words finally chosen and agreed upon the spiritual part of this begins. Serenity offering a line and then me in turn we continue throughout the day. The shadow cast by the hole in the roof changes, then disappears with the dark reappearing as a subdued light with sun up.

With our voices hoarse from the chanting, we use the last bucket of water to extinguish the fire. Moving the logs apart Serenity insures that it will not come to life again. We dress, gather up our pack of clean clothing and push aside the door and walk back out of the tunnel into the daylight. It is a cloudy overcast gray sky we emerge to find. With the casting of another bright blue gate and we arrive near a favorite bathing spot. We disrobe and walk into the cool water to wash away the aftermath of the purification. The water and homemade soap complete the sense of cleansing, not only does my mind feel more focused, but my body feels lighter and now the exterior has that same sensation, like life is clean, fresh and new.

Once clean and dry we dress, stuff our soiled clothing into the pack and cast a gate. The sight of the awning and the Grotto is a welcome one as we stepped out of the gate back into Minoc. With it having been twenty–four hours since either of us had eaten there was an enthusiasm as we walked through the lawn, the smell of freshly baking bread filled the air. Even in our absence the daily task of managing the Grotto and Knighthawke Trading Company continue on.

Serenity and I part company; while she goes in to the tavern to find food, for me breakfast must wait. John comes first, finding him; verifying I am home safely takes priority over food. As I would expect, John is at his desk, the prior day’s receipts, bills and orders stacked in front of him. A simple cup of coffee on the desk, I take note of the fact he has not eaten either. I cross the room, lean over give him a hug and kiss then make my way to the other side of the desk sitting in one of the chairs there.
“No breakfast this morning my dear?” I ask. John smiles. “I was waiting for you to come home, m'love.” I smile back. “I am home now, I’ll be back with breakfast in just a bit and we can talk.” Standing up from the chair, I lean over the desk give him another kiss and make my way downstairs to the kitchen. Being early in the day our cook is still in the kitchen, a plate of food, cup and tea pot waiting on the tray for me when I arrive makes this a quick fix. I return to John.
“One really must admire Annwylle; she has a knack for knowing just what is needed.” I look at John as I set the tray on the desk. “She already had this trayed up when I got down there!”

In rather typical fashion John smiles briefly, gets up, rounds the desk and sits beside me, pouring my cup of tea and then giving my hand a squeeze. Quietly without a word, I spread jam on the toast; we settle right back into our morning breakfast routine.
“Did you attain the desired result from the ritual my dear?” asks John.
“I feel clean inside and out, my mind feels less distracted, though this ritual yielded no visions. I do think it has prepared me for the next step.” I answer.
“Just what is that next step my dear witch?” a grin tugs at the corner of his mouth as he asks. He was worried while I was gone. Now that I'm home his sense of ease slowly returns. With the best straight face I can muster I answer “Oh you know the usual, boiling pots of bits of bat, newt and toad. “
“Good, good, It’s been far too long since we’ve used your cauldron for such things.” he laughs and then sips his coffee.
“Actually, what will come next, though not this eve, will be a dance in the moonlight. Having been up all night, this eve I plan to sleep contentedly in my husband’s arms. On the full moon Serenity and I will layout the circle, invite the Goddess and powers of the elements and dance.” Sipping my tea, I carefully consider how much detail of this dance I should share.
“Serenity and I will dance around the fire, to the beat of the drum, vulnerable to the elements which we embrace. With any luck, this shall bring forth a spirit of positive energy and a vision of the path I must follow.” I offer.
“Are husbands welcome at such an affair? I should hate to leave the two of you vulnerable to more than you are seeking. This is not some isolated cave. It sounds like this is out in the open.” John’s voice reflects his concern for my safety as well I think as a curiosity about his wife’s practices. Most often these rituals I have sought to keep private, secluded from prying eyes.
“Of course you are welcome my dear, though it might be best to ask Serenity also. I am not the only one who shall be in a vulnerable state, and I am uncertain how she will feel about being seen. So I shall ask first.”
0 x

Tanda Knighthawke
City Governor

Re: A Sacrificial Journey

Post by Tanda Knighthawke » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:11 pm

~Chapter 3~

A warm crimson glow fills the sky as the sun settles low on the horizon far to the west of Lost Hope Bay. It will be a delightful night for those fishing on the bay this evening. It is not quite late enough for the moon to be seen, though celestial charts show it should fill the night sky with a large luminous orb unrivaled in the last several years. The fisherman tonight will have calm weather, and a well-lit sky. For us, tonight is a comparatively rare moon which will serve to heighten the chances of a successful circle.

As my sister and I ready for the ritual it is time to explain a bit more of my heritage to my husband. Having been raised a good part of his life in Newcastle, thinking he was a nobleman, and with the more traditional influences of the man he believed to be his father. Some of what he will see tonight may well surprise him. John's stepmother Joylah like me is a witch, seeing her do such things is one thing. To see your wife doing them is quite another.

The three of us gather in the Grotto to break bread, enjoying bread and cheese and a pot of freshly steeped tea. Our conversation turns to the upcoming ritual. “Please pass the bread, Serenity” I ask. Handing me the bread she says “Here you go. This evening will be the first time in ages we’ve danced together in ages. Have you given any thought as to where we will do this?”

Taking the piece of bread and a slice of cheese I reply without looking up. “It seems only fitting we dance where we did as children. I know you never got to dance with mother, but you should remember dances with Gran.” As Serenity and I talk John watches and listens. “We’ll need mom’s hand drum, bell and flute, goblet, and dagger.” I rattle off partial list of things we need to retrieve from Gran's artifact chest.

“Salt and dirt, and pitcher and kindling,” Serenity adds.
I look up and nod. “Aye it is important we honor each of the elements.”

Without realizing I am doing it, I swirl the last bits of tea in my cup, rolling it and pouring it off into the saucer leaving behind the tea leaves. Proper procedure for tasseomancy, the reading of tea leaves, is second nature. Glancing at the pattern in the leaves I see a positive omen, an image of a candle, hinting of enlightenment.

“What is it, if anything, you require of me m'love?” John asks quietly.

“During this dance my dear, being on the lookout for things that could interfere would be a big help.” I answer and I smile at my husband. “Remember the Blight in the Fishing Village in Ter Mur when you stood guard for me while I worked on the cure?” He nods.

“Alright m'love....May I ask where we will be going?”

“There's a grove, familiar to me, between Minoc and Yew. The family use to dance there.” I reply. “I know what naturally occurs there. Unless we're interfered with or interrupted, I'll know what to expect.” I could see a list of what might interfere, and how, form in John’s mind as he thinks about the area and his past hunts.

Serenity and I go to Gran's trunk, and remove our ceremonial robes from it, gather our things while John puts on his armor, checks his weapons and sheaths them. We make our way to the table, gather the remaining packages, and step out into the early evening air. The moon is rising now, cresting above the horizon. Already, it is promising to be larger than on most other nights. A brief spell and the moongate opens.

Stepping through the gate you are awestruck by the mature trees towering over you. The rocks are still arranged in a circle creating the fire pit. If you stare at the trees long enough in silence you can envision the elven faces of the spirits who rest within. The unusual moon shines through the high branches, casting a shadow of entangled branches.

Work begins. Serenity and I put on our ceremonial robes. We arrange the kindling and wood in the fire ring. A goblet of water filled and set near the fire, the dagger placed, and the bell placed near it. A larger circle is created by pouring water soil over that, a layer of salt for safety. Each step done with great attention to detail and prayerful words, at each compass point stands an elemental Earth, Air, Fire and Water.

Serenity, John and I step into the circle, the invitation is offered to the powers of our world. A prayer requesting peace, protection, guidance and light is offered. The fire is lit in the circle center. Serenity and I drop our ceremonial robes a symbol of humility and trust. I take up the hand drum Serenity the flute; with the melody struck we begin drumming the earth with our bare feet, moving around the fire to the cadence set by the drum. John stands still. I know this pose – I have seen my husband like this many-a-time. His hand rests on the hilt of his sword, his eyes move from the dark forest to Serenity and I.

As the fire grows the tempo of the drum increases, incantation, invocation and songs of praise are offered. Life is a beautiful circle, the circles that overlap as we add people to our lives. We dance until our muscles burn from exertion and at the point where you are certain you cannot go on something magical happens, the pain disappears, the mind clears, all awareness of the world you walk in fades into the vastness of the stars and moons swirling around in your mind’s eye. It is in this place you see and hear what the message you need to receive.

I become aware of the world again as I feel John wrapping me in his cloak. His voice startled and concerned.

“Are you alright my dear?” John asks.

“I’m fine my dear, please see to Serenity.” In a few moments Serenity and I are dressed and John supporting the two of us as we make our way back through the gate to Minoc. Exhausted, casting the moongate was nearly too much to manage between the two of us.

Once at home, all of our relics are cleaned and packed away. Serenity and I settle in on the sofa for a much needed rest. I can see the questions in John’s eyes; I know he’s curious as to whether or not I’ve learned anything of use. “It will take a bit of time to understand what I’ve seen, heard and felt,” I offer so he knows I do see his hope for an explanation. “After this rest what I would like most is a bath”

After regaining a little strength, I sink into the warm waters in the bath tub, letting the mixture of warmth, salts and herbs fill my senses and relieve aching muscles. The time spent soaking allowed my mind to focus on what I had seen and heard during the dance. The words I heard are clear; the voices echo in my mind like they’re still beside me, but their meaning is jumbled and disordered. My mother and gran spoke to me. The powers of the elements and world beyond our mortal plane filled my mind with images. Slowly order comes to the jumbled images and words. Feeling quite refreshed I emerge from the bath, dress and I am ready to speak to John and Serenity.

With pillows piled high, the three of us settle on top of the bed, after a long day it was the most comfortable place to stretch out, talk and still face each other. “The first thing I wish to say to you both is thank you. Without your help this wouldn’t have been possible. “ I look from John to Serenity and then continue on. “Love comes in many forms, a spouse, parents, siblings, friends, our fellow man, and love of home. This was the strongest message I received from the other side, from Mother and Gran. That while selfless, and unconditional love are grand ideals they can rarely co-exist with the reality of life. Stewardship over others adds a responsibility to safeguard and protect. No less noble is the mother who fights to the death to protect her young, than those who walk away from a fight knowing this is not the solution to this issue. ” My eyes move to John’s as I tell him what Gran said that struck me. “'My child the key is in knowing when it is more courageous and noble to walk away, and when it's not'”

Next I move on to the images and visions related to me as I danced. “Minoc’s past flashed through my mind, images of Julia’s beloved hostel, visions of her passionately working her craft, seeing her act with loyalty to her friend and city. Not just words of stories told by our elders of bygone times. Her voice long silenced by death ringing with fiery determination. It was as if they want me to not only know the story from having heard and read it as a child, but to see it as it happened years ago.”

I pause, and then continue. “The images, sounds, and smells felt so real. As these images faded, the vision shifted into the reign of the Nobles of Minoc. Minoc was more isolated yet fiercely loyal to its own, set on remaining independent and self-determining. The vision then shifted to the red haired witch walking the street with her husband feeding the poor, trying to reason with and battling those who seek to do harm. In the end, I have come to see it will be a merger of these times that will unify Minoc again.”

“We will welcome – but we also remember.”
0 x

Return to “Minoc, City of Sacrifice”