Hoist a pint and the Pub

Enjoy the free-spirited tavern atmosphere.

Moderators: MalagAste, Tanda Knighthawke

Tanda Knighthawke
City Governor
UO Shard: Great Lakes
Character Age: 153
Guild Affiliation: TGD/ The Grateful Dead

Hoist a pint and the Pub

Post by Tanda Knighthawke » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:04 pm

I walked in to the Cat’s Lair in Britain looking for as she was described to me a noticeable red-head. The men I had sailed with were right, seems many knew of Tanda Adkins even if’n they’d never met her. When I walked in I was struck first by the red hair, then by the fact it cascaded down one side of her face and laid curled over the crest of her breast, which I dare say were displayed proudly above the top of her bodice and corset. Her waist narrowed by the corset accentuated the curve of her hips and buxom build. This was not a woman dressed to blend into the crowd, even by the standards of another woman. I approached her, offered a handshake and introduction “I am Annie Flyn, was told t’ find ye here about a position as a barmaid at your pub.” A smile crossed her face and her eyes livened as it did, it was easy enough t’ see why the men seemed to find her place a welcome respite. She took my hand, gave a firm handshake for a woman. “Tanda Adkins, a pleasure t’ meet ye Annie. Please have a seat and join me” she said her Minoc heritage evident in her voice. I took the seat opposite her at the table.

Tanda began straight away “Well Annie, perhaps its best I outline what I see my pub to be. As my reputation may have others telling tales that are a bit exaggerated. I see my establishment as a place where men can come enjoy a few hours of almost whatever it is they seek, be it good food, camaraderie, drink, a pretty face, a sympathetic ear or solitude. We do from time to time get a few lasses, who come in, and they’re entitled to the same and one other thing, the ability to enjoy WITHOUT unwelcomed advances from the men in the place if that is what they choose. Now at NO time do I expect those who work for me or for that matter me to be providin’ services that are well ‘wifely’ duties, contrary to what some may think. I need a lass who can discern what it is the customer is seeking, watch out for their safety and her own, never let a glass get empty for too long and clean the place up when they head out.” I watched carefully as she spoke of her pub and listened to her passion. This was more than a means to make money; this was about providing comfort to those who were in need.

We spoke for a good long while about the business, the food menu and the types of beverages served in the pub. When at long last we reached an offer, I agreed to take on the job and she offered me compensation well beyond what an average barmaid earns. The climate up there leaves a bit t’ be desired perhaps that is part of why her offer was so generous.

“Now Annie, let me see if I can give ye a bit of a head start on who comes in to the place. We have: Grand Marshal Galen Knighthawke, ye’ll know him by the dark clothing, thin build, battle scarred appearance and nightshade cigarettes typically he’ll order water or milk and pizza, now and then cookies and even rarer a spirit to drink.
Polynikes of Yew, hmm he’s tall, white hair as well as facial hair, unforgettable bit of a laugh, eyes that hint a bit at his past typically he’s gonna drink a Yew Wine.
The fella who comes in dressed mostly in green, little quieter than some, stomps the snow off and orders a cup of tea, that there would be Neptune of Skara Brae.
The tall blonde elf with the bright blue eyes, charming smile and flirtatious nature, that’d be Kenyon so far he prefers ale, and t’ never have his tankard run empty.
You’ll see from time t’ time a drow, dark skinned elf, white hair, dressed in white carrying a bow and quiver, he never drinks, is partial t’ cheese if he’s eaten anything, he’ll be MalagAste.
The elf with the blue spiked hair, accent so thick ye have trouble sometimes understandin’ him that’d be Ra’Dian and well he’s pot luck one can never be certain if he’s drinkin’ or what.
Now if any other drow come in they’re goin’ t’ be much more arrogant, rude, typically darker clothes watch out fer them, ye can’t trust ‘em. Far as the rest of the faces now and again ye’ll see M’lady Dot Warner, purple hair, little snooty-use t’ givin’ orders she drinks cider and prefers cheese pizza when she comes in.” She sat and rubbed her chin a bit in thought “I think that’s most that I can put a name t’” She paused and pondered some more. “Och, nae I forgot, Kenyon’s friends Alteri is an elven lass I can’t say that I remember what she drank last I saw her” She said with a chuckle “T’ be honest I was a little caught up in the blue eyes of that other elven fella. There was this other fella too, called himself Asar, doesn’t drink or eat, something not quite right about him. That should be everyone I see some what regular like” Tanda said with a nod. “Any questions?”

I thought for a bit on all the details she’d given me. “I’ll do my best ma’am t’ remember each of their likes and dislikes.” I said as I touched my thumb to my index finger naming off names and drinks. The next day I met Tanda out at the Pub and she showed me around the tavern, where all the various supplies were kept, the extra liquor stores, gave me the keys to anything that needed ‘em.

It was only a couple days until I was on my own facing her customers. I arrived early dressed comfortable but feminine, my weapon tucked neatly into the side seam of my skirt. I shined up the glasses, stocked the bar, made sure the food due in had been delivered, gathered up my courage and made ready to greet guests.

Tanda’s descriptions had been pretty accurate of the regulars to the pub, so the first few drinks served went without much fanfare. Kenyon did indeed live up t’ the twinkle in her eye as she spoke of him, I had nae a clue who the woman who sat with him was, Tanda had never mentioned her. Seemed Kenyon drew attention from most females in some form, I kept his tankard full as directed and walked him t’ the exit when he decided he had t’ leave. Was easy t’ see why ye could forget what ye were t’ be doing and who else was around once I got close enough to really look into those eyes.

Dot Warner made it in, as did Ra’Dian and a female of some race I’ve n’ver seen b’fore who joined him. They sat and talked away the night, while she dismissed the help … well like they were a nuisance.

Another fella came in sat in the corner alone, didn’t match any of the faces or habits she’d mentioned. Ordered himself “something dark” t’ drink, I served him a couple bottles of Diablo’s Port. He gave me a right uneasy feelin’, he did. Dark clothes, rather unremarkable really, solitary for most of the night he did eventually move out and begin talkin’ t’ another fella she never mentioned. Seemed t’ be a whole lot of chatter about boots.

The other fella was taller, a bit older looking, had an air about him of a man accustom t’ being on a horse. Seemed t’ like the ladies a bit and his drink, but wasn’t terribly chatty about who he was. He was much more interested in complimentin’ and flirtin’. After drinkin’ a bit more than he should’ve he took a room downstairs for the night.

Eventually Galen came in, sat rather quietly drinkin’ water and smokin’ nightshade. Doin’ pretty much what Tanda described, watchin’ and listening. Not an unpleasant sort, just a bit preoccupied.

There was precious little time t’ pay much attention t’ what anyone was talkin’ about, save little bits about Exodus maybe being dead, and oh yes, somethin’ about cheap boots, and watchin’ yer step so as not t’ get shot by the woman sittin’ with Ra’Dian. ‘bout as quick is the rush began folks filtered out and it was time t’ clean up the bar. Tucked a tidy sum in my bustier and headed fer home.
0 x

Return to “Tavern Talk”