Site Admin
UO Shard: Great Lakes
Character Age: 2129
Character Alignment: Lawful Good
Guild Affiliation: Order of the Etheral Ankh
Guild Abbreviation: OEA

The Britannian Alliance and Factions

Post by Lord DaKaren » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:48 am

Since this has been kicked around many times, but never actually acted apon in earnest.

Since it has been brought up again, I think it warrants a decision from the community. Should the B.A.F. join the True Britannians faction?

This will open up other play opportunities for those who would like more PvP than the current RP situation can support.

A few things to keep in mind:

1) Joining a faction has no impact on play in Trammel whatsoever. You are blue to opposing factions, do not sport a faction tag, and do not suffer temporary stat/skill loss on death.

2) You do not have to travel to Felucca, and you will not be expected to.

3) You are not ecpected to PvP if you do not want to.

4) Factions need have no impact on Trammel RP aside from anything Mythic throws at us in future publishes. (there was a disturbing hint at forced PvP in the future during an interview with the current UO producer - http://gamesblog.ugo.com/games/ultima-o ... ears-to-go)

i.e. joining factions will not be an official act of the High Council, or of the B.A.F. It is an OOC action to expand play opportunities for the community.

-Caveat- That can of course change if the community wills it.

5) We can leave factions at any time and be out within three days.

6) This would allow us to ally with Whispering Winds guilds so they aren't left out of Alliance chat, and thus miss RP fun. (Especially since we have learned that parties over 10 people crash 2D.)

Please discuss and vote in the poll.

(NOTE: Due to game mechanics (i.e. the limited way EA/Mythic has allowed alliances to 'function') this is either an all in or all out kind of deal. If the Alliance goes factions it takes all the member guilds with it.)

----------------

Unfo Culled from poste below:

Pros:
No healing rez issues while in Tram
No Faction Tags in Tram
PvP for those who want it
Faction artifacts (better than normal counerparts)

Cons:
Cannot party with opposing factions, even in tram
'increased' danger in Fel
[Young] players cannot join guilds
0 x

-Lord DaKaren

High Chancellor of Virtue of the High Council of Britannia
Archmage of the Order of the Etheral Ankh

Administrator of UORPC.NET
do you have the character?

Silverbrook
Noob
Character Age: 0

Re: The Britannian Alliance and Factions

Post by Silverbrook » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:49 pm

Playing devil's advocate here...

* I'm not sure how you can say it is an OOC activity when your character.. your RP character... is doing it. I know in the past others have created alts to do activities they may not be inclined to do in RP. I'm sorry, and others may disagree (that's fine), but having Silverbrook and the rest of the BAF in the rp community can't be OOC. I'm not sure how you can say that. Are they 'off the clock' or something?

* I don't have to travel to Fel...? I already do, quite a bit, actually.

* I might not be expected to PvP, but entering Felucca runs ts risk... it is just a higher risk when an opposing factions player sees you.

Personally, I disagree with it. Mainly because I don't think you can have it as an OOC type thing. I'm just one vote, however, so others may disagree,and that's fine. Personally, however, I would consider removing myself from the Alliance. That's not some sort of threat mind you, lol... it's just that I disagree with the IC/OOC thing.
0 x

basil
Apprentice

Post by basil » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:07 pm

I don't think DaK was insinuating that this was for just OOC shit and giggles PvP.

Lore Denin, who rps, commands the True Britannians so those that went to Felucca seeking PvP would more than likely be rp'ing, they'd just be helping Denin.

Edit: Or maybe DaK was insinuating as much, I didn't read his post, I only went off what I knew he was wanting to do from private conversations
0 x

Ludwig
Journeyman
Guild Affiliation: RKV

Post by Ludwig » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:52 pm

As to factions not pertaining to tram...

I was in a faction guild on atl but I exclusively played in tram. The guild joined factions for similar reasons discussed above. I did notice some issues in tram concerning healing and rezzing. If I remember correctly, I couldn't be healed or rezzed by others because they "couldn't perform beneficial acts". So I could only be rezzed by guildies or wandering healers. Is this still the case? Or am I wrong?

Also, though old news, when they did the faction invasions, my char did incur skill/stat loss when he died to the invading npcs, in trammel.
0 x

Lord DaKaren
Site Admin

Post by Lord DaKaren » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:27 pm

I thin the healing rezzing thing has been fixed, as I know I have done so for faction players. However a test of this would be in order to make sure... Perhaps Lore might be persuaded to assist in testing...

Invasion mobs might be another story as they could be faction aligned monsters and such and thus may cause issues.

One benefit that hasn't been mentioned is the faction artifacts, and their increased stats. (faction points can be obtained by killing faction monsters, though only in Fel I believe)

I just wish we could ally guilds who participate in factions, since it would have no impact on the actual functioning of factions. Then individual guilds could go factions.. But nooo..
0 x
-Lord DaKaren

Duke Greemspan
Noob

Post by Duke Greemspan » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:00 am

Just want to share a few pts to u guys if u are seriously thinking of this issue:

Pros:
1). If u join in, u have an option to get involve in Felucca sigil wars. The feeling is different: control Brit. by political & rp in trammel is one thing, controlling an actual town in Felucca (u can appoint sheriff & ministers in felucca towns, each have their own in-game abilities) is a very different things... if u want a town in Felucca, u don't claim it by election, u really need to fight for it.

2). Low price artifacts (with higher stats). Believe me, it save u "tons" of gold by using faction items rather than spending a few millions on regular artifacts.

3). One way to attract more ppls to get involved in RP. Ask urself this question: what is the proportion of UO players are doing RP in 2009 and 3 yrs ago? If u say the numbers of RPers are increasing now, then let's vote for "no faction"... if u find the dropp out rate from RP is higher than the no. of ppls who quit UO, then u may want to find a way to boost up the numbers. While joining in faction is not the best option (or only option), yet it is one of ur option. Or unless u can name some other better choices. Please also bear in mind is that, once u joined faction, that means u "have an option to influence" the world in Felucca as well... the door swing both ways, High Council is opening itself to the other side of Brit.

4). Factions welcomes tamers! Yes, well trained pets will help alot in faction wars. As long as u can control ur pets well, ur tamers are very welcome.

Cons:

A). Be plain honest, enemy faction members (Minax, SL, COM) are not big time High Council supporters or they will do "peace talk" with... if u run in Felucca and meet anyone of them, u MUST be ready to face the worst... If being attack on sight in Felucca is a problem to u, then I will say u should vote to against BAF to go faction.

B). Stats loss - yes, the penalty hurts... but it is a fair game: if u pvp and loss, u suffer. However, if u hardly go to Felucca, then it is not even a problem to u at all.

C). Faction ppls seldomly do IC talks - well, I am not saying they will trash talk u all the time, but if u are a hardcore RPer who can't take OOC talks from other ppls, then faction is not ur cup of tea. How bad they are? It really depends... in fact u guys should say thanks to Lore Denin... this guy really did "push in" many RP elements to his faction alliances from time to time... I won't say ever TB faction players hate RP talks, infact, many of them are getting more adeptative to it now(Lore Denin get voted as Command Lord for TB all the time for a reason :Applause ). Yet, not all TB faction players share the view that they are protecting the kingdom for goods.

My personal suggestion is, if u hardly ever go to Felucca, u may still want to vote for "yes". Cuz it will still allow u for cheap but better stats artifacts.
Needless to say, if u need some pvp exercise, doing faction is a nice option since you can share the fun for "controlling" a faction town.

If u have need to travel to Felucca quite often and being killed (KOS, rez kill...etc) does matter to u, then u should vote for "no faction".

So we can even narrow down the question to this: How far are u willing to play UO other than RPing... Joining faction does bring both pros & cons at the same time, it really depends on how do u want to play the game. :Boohoo
0 x

Severn
Citizen
Guild Affiliation: NWJ

Post by Severn » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:43 am

The Healing and Rezing thing, have been fixed. Our alliance tested this before joining factions.

An enemy faction member cannot heal or rez you in Fel though.

Your faction tag will not show up in Tram. The only draw back to this, is PvM hunts involving several guilds. You also cannot party with enemy factions, even in Tram. So if your good natured PvM group ends up having someone who belongs to SL wanting to join, they can't party.

And the only real draw back we've found since joining factions, any alternate characters, or new members to your guild, must travel to fel and join TB before being guilded. If they are in another faction on another shard, they cannot join TB on Great Lakes. Beloved nooblets (young players) also cannot join while still in young player status.
0 x

Lord DaKaren
Site Admin

Post by Lord DaKaren » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:15 pm

To address the RP aspect of Alliance in factions..

B.A.F. = The 'military guilds' of the Britannian Alliance (RKV, YM, DoH!).

Britannian Alliance = EVERYONE. (The Alliance's technical name is The Britannian Ministry of Armed Forces)

Anything the Alliance does affects everyone in the Alliance due to game mechanics, and this is not something we can change.

I want to better explain what I mean when I say the Alliance would be joining factions OOC instead of as an action of the High Council 'endorsing' True Britannians.

While we could join TB as an HC action where we 'side' with that faction (as it would be the most logical choice), I don't wish to do that at this juncture. Right now, joining factions would be to give those who want a PvP experience the ability to do that on the main characters. RP-wise we can completely ignore it since 99.9% of the time we play in Trammel where factions have no sway (aside from the annoying inability to party with those in opposing factions)

Travel to Felucca is completely voluntary, no one is forced to participate in factions. Also, realistically the change in the 'danger level' when going to Fel when in factions is negligible, as anyone can attack you anywhere at any time regardless. I have two houses in Fel still, and I go there to gather resources on allied chars.

Not everything we do *has* to have an RP reason; preferable yes, mandatory no. We need to increase our member base and this is a way to reach more people. Some people in factions RP, this is a way to get their attention on some level. People are free to RP their characters whenever they want, but we don't need an overarching HC-related plotline for everything.

I take DaKaren to Wind to kill daemons to gain fame.. Am RPing, or am I just playing? I go shopping in Luna for a random item.. Am I roleplaying? To me, both answers are no. My character doesn't have a deep-seated hatred of daemons per-se, nor does *I* particularly enjoy shopping in Luna..

We need to expand the community; we need to broaden what we do and what we offer to attract more people. Adapt or die is the law of nature, and I for one would like to get GL off life support.
0 x
-Lord DaKaren

basil
Apprentice

True Britannians

Post by basil » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:10 pm

I know we agreed the other night that we are going to go True Britannian, so how long until we think we join? I know some YM guys had characters in other factions that will need time to leave so they don't get booted out of YM. How long does it take to leave a faction? Is it still a week? I only ask so we have somewhere in public that people can see so the answer might get spread quicker.
0 x

Galen
Fanatic

Re: True Britannians

Post by Galen » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:33 pm

It only takes 3 days to leave now.

But, when it says "3 days" it really means 4, I think.

Either way, it's not a week anymore.

Also you should be able to be fully rezzed/healed by others in Trammel. Obviously not so in Felucca.

Skill loss upon death is still 20 minutes. If we end up warred to a Faction guild in Trammel, skill loss will apply upon death. I'm not sure about Faction monsters in Trammel, so take care to not die to demons, wisps, or ogre lords just in case.

-Galen's player
0 x

Return to “OOC B.A.F. Discussion”