John Poisoned

Tales and stories of little known happenings. (Please use the OOC sub-board called 'Roleplay Springboard' to discuss the stories posted here)

Moderators: MalagAste, Tanda Knighthawke

MalagAste
Grand Marshal (GL)
UO Shard: Great Lakes

John Poisoned

Post by MalagAste » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:55 pm

The Peg Leg Inn was unusually busy this evening. Magdalena the Innkeeper was nervous as she stood waiting to help her new “guests”. The two females were quite rude and vicious, but it wasn’t unusual for Bucs Den. It was the fact that these two were most definitely not the usual pirates nor were they merchants, they were Dark Elves, Drow. Magdelena was sure they were up to no good. But paying customers were paying customers and in these times she needed them. But still they made her nervous and their pets the spiders made the hairs on the back of her neck stand up each time they screeched.

“Quar'valsharess Rylna I have been doing as you asked...” the shorter female spoke to her partner who was now sitting at the desk. The other female made a few subtle gestures with her hands, but did not speak as a young Squire entered the Inn. The shorter female stopped speaking instantly and motioned to her pets.
“Are you the Inkeeper, Sir?” John asked, looking around the dim lit room. No sooner did he speak that the large blue hued spider in the corner caught him in a web that threw him against the wall, sticking him fast.
John struggled to free himself but he could barely move. He tried reaching his knife but he couldn’t bring his arms around.
The female sitting at the desk looked up at him and grinned. “Well, well, what have we here?” She spoke with a thick accent, her eyes narrowing.
“I wanted a room.” He answered bravely. But as soon as the words left his lips the female behind the desk was directly in front of him. She grasped his face and her deep red eyes looked directly into his. John felt as though they could pierce into his very soul. But he did not close his eyes or turn away from her.
”A room?” She said tauntingly.
”Is it not an inn?” He inquired trying to maintain some sort of ruse so they wouldn’t know who he was.
“For the Son of the Grand Marshall? Newcastle’s young Knight want to be....” She asked calling his bluff. They had been expecting him.
“A room for a bastard, miss?” He said, still trying to maintain he was just there for the night. “If bastards are no longer welcome in this city I shall take my leave.”
“Oh you will take your leave when I say you will.” She told him motioning to her partner with her hand.
“So....Bastards are welcome?” He asked again only to be met with vile laughter from both the females. Magdalena trotted down the hall wanting no part of what was going on in the lobby. She darted into one of the rooms and pretended to make herself busy cleaning it. John attempted to maintain his composure as he felt his only salvation or witness had just left him.
“I have use of you.” The female said still holding his face in her hand. “Tell me.... where is the Dark Prince? I have a special message for him.” She asked as she made another tiny hand gesture to her partner. The other female spoke something that could only be described as spider talk to the blue spider near her. It quickly shot two more webs at him securing him tighter to the wall. John didn’t say a word but kept a solemn gaze, watching both females as best he could. He could not see the two other very large and hairy spiders dangling from the ceiling in the corners of the dimly lit room.
“No? Not going to speak?” The female asked, grinning. She still held his face in her hand. “I have ways of making you speak.” She told him.
“I wanted a room. I no longer do.” He said as matter of factly as he could.
“Tisk, tisk.” She said, “You will be delivering a message for me.” She told him as she passed her hands over his abdomen causing the webbing there to melt. She yanked his robe open and tapped her blade on his armor before she slipped her blade between its binds cracking it open. She then held up her hand and snapped her fingers.
The other female pulled a vial from within her robes and unstoppered it. She held out her hand before the blue spider and poured some of the contents into her hand. The bright almost glowing blue liquid was quickly sucked up by the spider, which now set all of its eyes on John. With a quick flick of her wrist the spider pounced across the room and sank its fangs deep into Johns exposed flesh. John tore his sword arm free of the wall and quickly grabbed his sword. He cut the rest of the webbing from his side as quickly as he could. The female in front of him backed away slightly and made a small gesture toward him.
“ Augus Luminos!” John cried out, calling on the holy light of virtue. Just as he finished the two spiders dropped from the ceiling and jumped on him knocking him to the floor. His head felt as though it had been split in two and he was shaking off the darkness, but he remembered where he was as he opened his eyes seeing the two females standing over him. He was surrounded by the two females and the three spiders. The older female obviously the one in charge looked down at him.
“Tell the Prince that I will NOT be dismissed.” She told him. “Tell him Rylna has come for him.” She said snapping her fingers again. The other female pulled him to his feet.
“I am sorry but I do not know Lord British's son. I did not know he had one.” He told her. “And I know of no male issue to Dawn.” He continued. She merely laughed.
“You know the Dark Prince.” She said, now glaring at him. “He is your leader foolish srow.” She spoke the hatred in her voice quite strong. With that she shot a glance to the other female and then recalled away.
“You would do wise not to anger her further.” The other female suggested in a very disgusted tone.
“She would probably hate it if I stabbed you then?” John said, still maintaining what composure he could. She merely laughed at him.
“You can fight all you like... the poison will do its work.” She spoke and with a flash vanished. John summoned his mount and rode back to Newcastle.

When he arrived he found the Knight of Lore, his superior and teacher, the dark elf Malag’aste reading through some papers on the desk in the lower reaches of the Hall of Virtue. He stood nearby and clasped his hands behind his back, waiting for the Knight to acknowledge him. Malag stopped reading and glanced over his shoulder at the Squire.

Malag waited a few moments for the Squire to salute before he spoke. “Squire, You forgetting something?” He inquired.
“Permission to speak candidly, Sir.” John said, with a quick salute. The raising of his arm sent a wave of pain across his torso, but he ignored it.
Malag returned the salute and smiled slightly. The Squire really was nearing the end of his training. Soon he would need to be tested, he thought to himself.
“Permission to speak candidly, Sir.” John repeated, shaking Malag from his thoughts.
“Permission granted. What is on your mind Squire?” He asked.
“My father told me much of....This....was spent mired in other people's business.” He began, “Other people's sins. I did not expect, Sir, for it to involve you, so directly, so quickly.”
“Much of what?” Malag asked, somewhat confused.
“Whatever it is one calls what we do, Sir.” John said. Malag motioned the squire to the stool nearby.
“What we do? We defend this land from those who would destroy it. And how does that involve me?” Malag asked him.
“I was assaulted by two Drow women, and their pet spiders, in Bucaneer's Den earlier this evening.” John informed him. Malag listened carefully but his mind was screaming about danger.
“They asked that I deliver a message to you, they referred to you as the "Dark Prince" and, when I played ignorance, they made it plain of whom they spoke.” John stated.
“I WAS the Dark Prince...” Malag began. “That was long ago and far away. That part of me does not exist anymore.”
“The message was "I will not be ignored," I presume she meant herself.” Jon said.
“She have a name? They attacked you?” Malag asked, as a hundred questions began to fill his mind. The questions were soon followed by thoughts of his homeland, betrayal and vengeance. He knew who was seeking him, but he didn’t wish to speak her name.
“A name was spoken, in the midst of the assault I forgot it, Sir.” John told him. “And yes they did, Sir.” Malag quickly reached out and grabbed the squire by the chin and looked into his eyes. “With spiders?” he asked.
“Yes.” John answered coldly. A look of deep concern crossed the Dark Princes face.
“Two females?” Malag asked, his thoughts racing back to his own torment at the hands of Indra and her followers. The spiders biting him over and over again. He winced slightly.
“Yes.” John answered again with the same cold tone.
“Both appeared to be Drow?” Malag questioned.
“Yes, Sir.” John stated with a nod.
“Red eyes?” Malag asked.
“I do not recall, Sir.” John told him. Malag stared off into the distance his mind racing. Memories taunting him.
“Will not be ignored.... she said?” He asked again knowing the answer but still pondering the attack. His mind flashed to distant memories as he pulled a very worn book from his robes and began to pour over its contents.
“Yes. That was the message to you. To me, they said that the poison will do its work.” John stated.
“What?” Malag asked almost glaring at the squire. The thought hadn’t really occurred to him that they would try to control the squire. John just sat quietly as Malag continued to question him.
“The spider...... ice?” Malag asked.
“One ice, two normal giant spiders, or at least had the appearance thereof.” John told him.
“They feed it? Before it bit you?” Malag inquired.
“Yes; something blue.” John told him.
Flashes of the cavern in the dungeon of Ice and the twinge of pain as the spiders bit over and over again made Malag cringe and shudder slightly as his hand involuntarily went to his abdomen. Malag jumped from his seat as the gravity of what had happened quickly dawned on him. He needed to get that poison out now! “Come. Quickly.” Was all he could say as he tore though the castle and outside. John followed him as quick as he could. “Quickly.” Malag repeated as he ran to his Keep. He led the Squire into the back of his Keep and through a black curtain. The room was extremely dark and had a very strange odor to it. The only light was a violet glow coming from several power crystals that were placed throughout the room. Malag moved to the large altar in the far depths of the room. “Sit” he said, quickly as he indicated a couch near the stairs.
In the darkness John could barely make out the dark elf as he began to mix something unseen atop the altar. John could barely hear him chanting something in a very strange tongue, the elves words were nearly inaudible.
Malag frowned and slid his hands through the cleansing flames of the candles. He pulled up his sleeve and produced his blade from within his robes. Sliding the blade along his arm three times he continued to chant the words to an ancient spell. He knew the magic would be somewhat effected by the blackrock lining the room but the altar countered most of the effects. He continued chanting the words to the long forgotten spell. The words flowed like a river over rapids as he continued to mix together the necessary items. He remembered each word and spoke them clearly as if he was born to them. The knowledge of his elders flowed though him as if it were yesterday that he last spoke the spells. How long had it been since he last called up such words? One hundred years or more perhaps? He pulled a pouch from his belt and mixed a few more things into a bottle. The words of the spell ending in a rush of power, Malag felt the magic draining from inside him and into the bottle with his blood.
Malag turned to the squire. “Strip off your robe I need to see the wound.” With that he strode quickly across the room, his elven eyes had long adjusted to the darkness. Malag took the bottle of blackish liquid and poured it into the wound.
John felt the wound begin to almost boil inside of him, the pain was intense but he remained silent.
Malag inspected the wound more closely, as a small bit of the bright blue liquid began to seep from it. “Vith!” Malag sneered. “Damn it” he said remembering to speak in common tongue. “Not quick enough,” He managed. “And it’s as I feared. They have used the serum of ply’uss on you.” He stated as he wiped a bit of the blue liquid up with his finger. “It is a control like serum… More of a capture serum. I am not sure the direct translation, but it will give them access to your mind, in your dreams.” Malag warned.
“So what now?” John asked.
“And the torture you receive…” Malag began, “is unthinkable. They will attempt to corrupt you, to break you. They want to use you for something. You have two choices as I see it. Perhaps three. One you can sleep here.” He said indicating the couches. “This room will protect you from them. They can not penetrate here. That is part of why they can’t find me on their own. Two, I’ll speak to Brother Thomas. Have him help you prepare your mind. He is an expert in mind control. Three, I’ll speak to my brother about creating a potion to counter this. But that will take time. If you don’t wish to follow these steps…”
“They are not mutually exclusive. So, perhaps, more like stages than choices.” John said.
“You may take your chances with the nightmares. Or attempt not to sleep, up to you.” Malag told him.
“Sir? You say this room prevents them from finding you?” John asked.
“Yes. It prevents scrying.” Malag stated.
“Do you mean find you physically? As in they do not know where you actually are?” John asked.
“It blocks magic. They can't find my mind. I am Malag-aste Hla-ate. The Keeper of Secrets of the House of the Walkers of the Way. They desire my mind.” He told him.
“Does that mean they know where you are now because I came here?” John asked now somewhat worried.
“No. They know I am in Newcastle. They know I serve the Knights. But they can not reach my mind. And they are prevented from brining the spiders here. Therefore they can not reach me on their own. They must attempt to capture me somewhere else. Whenever I leave here I risk that. But my safety is of little concern.”
John looked at Malag and said flatly, “Can you send a woman while I stay here, Sir.”
“What woman?” Malag inquired, curiously.
“Was joking, Sir.” John said.
“You only need sleep here. They can't get to you while you’re awake.” He said. “Rylna.” Malag said remembering the woman who was seeking him before. The reason he built the room in the first place.
“Was the name, if memory serves.” John said.
“She is the Nota'man.... or Devil.... of the Drow… She is Lloths right hand so to speak. She will not rest. It matters not so long as my Brother is safe. His safety and protection is all that matters. Were he to return to the service of Lloth..... this land would be in grave danger. For he is L' Mortath d'lil Naut-elghinyrr. The Maker of the Undead.” Malag said, almost rambling as he thought about what might happen to the land he had come to care for. As he remembered the slaughter of his homelands at the hands of himself and his brother. How many lives they took together. How many cities fell to them.
“May I dress now, Sir. Unless you are sending a woman down.” John asked pulling Malag from his thoughts. Malag laughed at the thought.
“I'd prefer if you did... Naked humans are so... Bright. Like a great sun...” He said thinking of how disgusting they were and how sick it was that you could literally see every vein within their skin. But his thoughts quickly turned back to Rylna. “I was hoping she had been called back, or had given up. I suppose that's too much to ask.”
“Can you talk to the Brother or should I.” John asked.
“I'll speak with Brother Thomas and set up a time for him to meet you, the sooner the better. I should go talk with him and my brother.”
“Where do I put my horse.” John asked.
“You are welcome to sleep here. He can stay in here with you if you like or up in the back hall or at the stables. He shouldn't disrupt anything here. The dogs will alert you if anyone enters.” Malag said with a frown.
“Good night then, Sir.” John said as he prepared to bed down for the night on the couch. Malag nodded and headed up the stairs to meet with his brother.

To be continued…
0 x

Return to “Bard's Corner”