A Cure for Yew

Tales and stories of little known happenings. (Please use the OOC sub-board called 'Roleplay Springboard' to discuss the stories posted here)

Moderators: MalagAste, Tanda Knighthawke

MalagAste
Grand Marshal (GL)
UO Shard: Great Lakes

A Cure for Yew

Post by MalagAste » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:02 pm

A Cure for Yew
It was late in the evening the air was starting to chill when Setatabon arrived in Yew with a new bottle of freshly brewed potion. He folded his wings behind him as he landed softly on the ground in front of the Abbey. His head cocked toward the door as he listened quietly to the monks inside.

“I don’t care if he is in the Militia. I’m telling you that demon scares me. It’s only a matter of time until he kills us all. I don’t trust him.” A female voice said.
“Lord Polynikes trusts him. That is enough for me.” Another one said.
“He’s done nothing but help us, we must look past his exterior. Remember my friends the lives of many rely on us and we need his help.” He heard his friend Brother Thomas telling them. He smiled slightly to himself. Setatabon knew how they felt. He’d heard the talk before. Deamon, Beast, Foul creature of the Abyss, they called him. L' Mortath d'lil Naut-elghinyrr they called him on his homeland, The Maker of the Undead. He was the one who called the Undead, the one who came with the Red Moon to destroy all in his path. Not something he wished to do, but he had no choice, the house of the Hla-ate commanded him in the name of Lloth and he could not disobey them, at least not then. Setatabon had longed to be free and now here he was free but still a prisoner of his own heritage. No longer was he under the control of the Drow and no longer was he Lloths pet but still he was what he was, demon kind, an Incubus. That much he could never break free of. He clutched the bottle in his large clawed hand and gathered his strength for his transformation. Fire cooled in his veins as he took on his humanoid form. He hated the games he had to play for the humans. Why must he hide his true self for them, could they not accept him for what he was? He sighed as he entered the Abbey.
“I’ve finished the brew finally Brother Thomas. Have you another lamb?” He asked.
“Setatabon,” The old Monk smiled looking at him. “Yes, yes of course!” He said pointing to one of the other monks indicating they fetch one of the infected lambs.
The monks brought the lamb before them and then scurried back. The creature looked moments from death and it was bleeding from its eyes and nose. Its tongue was pale and so were its ears and it seemed barely able to stand. Setatabon brought the bottle to the lamb’s mouth and poured the thick fluid down its throat. The lamb cried and skittered away bleating. A few wobbly steps later and the lamb fell to the floor. It lay still for a moment and then began shaking. Everyone gasped and stared at the pitiful creature. After a short while the lamb scrambled to its feet and shook its head staring at the crowd of Monks and Setatabon. The lamb seemed to be fine. In fact it seemed more than fine as it shook its head again and began bleating loudly and jumping about the Abbey. It took three of the Monks to hold the little lamb as they examined it.
“I think this is it!” Brother Thomas exclaimed. Looking at the little lamb that was now happily eating some hay from one of the other Monks. Its eyes and nose were no longer bleeding and it seemed far more energetic and healthy.
“Let’s give it a few days make sure this is it.” Setatabon cautioned. “Before we get too eager to call it a cure I want to be certain there are no aftereffects that might be harmful.”
Brother Thomas agreed and Setatabon returned to Newcastle to begin putting the rest of the potion into vials for distribution. Somehow though he knew this would work, it had to.
Days passed and the little lamb grew stronger and stronger, it was quite apparent that the sickness in it was gone. In the next few weeks the Monks spread the cure throughout Yew, treating every man, woman, child, elf and creature. The plague that had befallen Yew was cured.
0 x

Return to “Bard's Corner”