Log of the High Council Meeting on 7/24/17

Communications with the High Council of Britannia.
Lord DaKaren
Site Admin
UO Shard: Great Lakes
Character Age: 2129
Character Alignment: Lawful Good
Guild Affiliation: Order of the Etheral Ankh
Guild Abbreviation: OEA

Log of the High Council Meeting on 7/24/17

Post by Lord DaKaren » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:26 pm

Log of the 510th Session of the High Council of Britannia.

DaKaren: Welcome to the 510th session of the High Council of Britannia.
DaKaren: The Britannian Purity League remains a threat to the peace in and around Cove.
DaKaren: Their continued hostile activities towards various refugee groups and towards the local orc clan are worrisome.
DaKaren: The orcs have already retaliated once and a source has informed me that it will likely happen again if the League persists.
DaKaren: Though the Ministry of Security and the Britannian Royal Guard are engaging the League, with several victories against them, this kind of evil is insidious.
DaKaren: Such bigotry hides in plain sight, within the weak hearts of minds of the friends and neighbors...only showing its true face as a chaotic group driven by fear and hate.
DaKaren: In the best scenario, such cancer would be burned out at the root...but we must be better than those we are fighting.
DaKaren: Thusly, we need to update our laws to fit the times.
DaKaren: First, we need to amend the Seventh: Article XX, adding a new section A to properly define personhood. The current section A would become section B and so on.
DaKaren: The amendment I recommend reads: "A "person" shall be defined as a sapient being, regardless of species who objectively displays an independent capacity to perceive, reason and communicate; unless they have been specifically deemed
DaKaren: otherwise by a ruling of the High Court of Britannia."
DaKaren: This will also force us to define what a "citizen" is, which is best placed as a subsection to Article I, section B.
DaKaren: The amendment I recommend reads: "A citizen of Britannia is defined as any native or naturalized person, as defined in Article XX, section A, lawfully residing within the Kingdom of Britannia, as defined in Article I, section C;
DaKaren: unless specifically deemed otherwise by a ruling of the High Court of Britannia."
DaKaren: I have placed the proposed amendments on the ethereal tomes for comments and debate.
DaKaren: I hope to call for a vote on the finalized text during our next session.
Dot Warner: *coughs quietly*
DaKaren: Councilor Warner has further legislation to propose... Councilor?
Dot Warner: Thank you.
Dot Warner: The Britannian Purity League is at least the second well-organized, home-grown group to both spew vitriolic hatred and incite racially based violence in recent years.
Dot Warner: The first group being the absurdly named Brothers of Valor, who twisted events to their hateful purpose during the chaos after the Shadowlord's defeat.
Dot Warner: Such groups are antithetical to the Britannian Virtues and everything our kingdom stands for.
Dot Warner: I propose to make their activities explicitly illegal. Not just their incitement to violence, but the dissemination of speciest propaganda and simply being a member of such organizations.
Dot Warner: To do this, we'll need to add two new criminal definitions to the Codex of Laws. That of "Hate Crime" and "Hate Speech."
Guntur Kivlov: *rubs his head*
Dot Warner: The easiest way to accomplish this is through a self-referential Council Decree which will establish the crimes and definitions.
Dot Warner: Which I've already drafted... It's also on the ethereal tomes for comment and debate.
Dr Jerred DeSule: *scratches chin*
Dr Jerred DeSule: Could you elaborate on hate crime?
Dot Warner: The present text reads: "A crime motivated by bias or other prejudice (race, ethnicity, species, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation)."
Dot Warner: So not a personal hate of an individual, but for a group. If that makes sense.
Dr Jerred DeSule: Isn't the "crime" already a crime? The motivation behind the crime makes it... more criminal?
Malag aste: So... technically I could have Drow haters arrested?
Dot Warner: Labeling it a "Hate Crime" would function as an enhancement.
Dot Warner: If they acted like the BPL, potentially.
Tanda: Stricter Punishments and such?
Dr Jerred DeSule: I do not believe we need to qualify one motivation over another
Dot Warner: *nods to Tanda*
Dr Jerred DeSule: If someone murders another, it's murder. I don't follow why the reason for the murder should
Dr Jerred DeSule: affect punishment
Tanda: So much like the difference between murder in a fit of rage or passion compared to pre-meditated
Dot Warner: It may give perpetrators additional pause if they could face a stiffer sentence.
Dr Jerred DeSule: hm.
Dot Warner: Consider the situation in Cove.
Dot Warner: A gargoyle was murdered simply for *being* a gargoyle.
Dr Jerred DeSule: That simply sounds pre-meditated to me
John: *raises hand* May I?
Dot Warner: From one of the perpetrators, yes. The rest went along with the frenzy.
Dr Jerred DeSule: *looks over at John*
DaKaren: *nods towards John*
John: Usually, as my wife already has pointed out, these laws relate to sentencing more than anything else.
John: The arguments for these usually are that, when hate against a group is a motive,
John: it is a higher crime, because a normal crime against a person becomes a crime against the values of society.
John: The arguments against these usually are that what should matter IS the underlying crime.
Dot Warner: *nods* Aye.
John: Motives can vary, but the underlying crime should be what matters.
John: Those are the arguments.
Dr Jerred DeSule: *nods*
John: From the perspective of one who is usually chasing these folks down, all I will say,
John: is that I will chase down them all.
John: The rest is up to the rest of you and I, as always, will follow my wife's lead.
Tanda: *Raises hand*
John: *bows*
Martyna Z'muir: You may have to wrestle Kittie when you find Blorn...
DaKaren: Councilor Tanda?
Tanda: This would allow us to add in effect a "pre-meditation" to say assault and battery
Tanda: or other violent crime besides murder
Tanda: though I do recognize this could be a slippery slope
Tanda: allowing the law to be applied very broadly to restrict free speech
Tanda: so ponder carefully
DaKaren: We still need to update the High Court charter...and the Codex as a whole. They are a tad out of date.
Tanda: *nods*
Tanda: I know much of it I drafted
Tanda: decades ago
Dr Jerred DeSule: A final thought, and I'll let it go
DaKaren: *nods*
Dr Jerred DeSule: Motive should be used as evidence against an individual in proving a crime..
Dr Jerred DeSule: I don't see the value in a harsher punishment for "worse" motives
Dr Jerred DeSule: Especially if it's not likely to change anyone's world view on species and race
Dr Jerred DeSule: Threatening to imprison someone for 20 years, versus 30 years for a hate crime isn't going
Dr Jerred DeSule: to do that.
Dot Warner: I think John said it best, the motive goes against the values of Britannian society.
Malag aste: Never been the victim of hate have you?
Dr Jerred DeSule: Unjustified murder goes against the values of Britannian society
Dr Jerred DeSule: or any violent act for that matter
Dot Warner: One would hope.
Malag aste: Most problems with such hate though is that it's passed down from generation to Generation.
Malag aste: Short of removing children from them it honestly isn't something you can stop.
Martyna Z'muir: It's fortunate that didn't appear to happen with Gertan's daughter
Malag aste: Very.
Tanda: Well and not entirely unfounded in some cases
Tanda: Just because I trust you Malag Aste
Tanda: doesn't mean I'd trust all Drow
Martyna Z'muir: *sighs*
Malag aste: *grins*
Malag aste: As well you shouldn't.
Martyna Z'muir: *mumbles about the Viaxus*
Tanda: but I don't slaughter them on sight
Malag aste: But individuals should be judged by their actions.
DaKaren: Indeed they should.
DaKaren: Anything further?
Tanda: Not until I read it
DaKaren: If not, all these proposals are on the ethereal tomes for continued debate.
DaKaren: This too, shall hopefully be up for vote on the finalized text during our next session.
DaKaren: Grand Marshal Hla'ate, would you address the Council on military matters in the Kingdom?
Malag aste: Currently i have nothing to add to the current situation already discussed... other than to say that perhaps new laws are in order.
DaKaren: Thank you, Grand Marshal.
DaKaren: Councilor Kivlov, does the Township of Newcastle have anything to bring before the Council this eve?
Guntur Kivlov: I have nothing to bring to the council this eve..
Guntur Kivlov: I eagerly await voting on these changes next meeting
Guntur Kivlov: Thank you Chancellor.
DaKaren: Very well.
DaKaren: Thank you, Councilor.
DaKaren: Councilor Knighthawke, does the city of Minoc have anything to bring before the Council this eve?
Tanda: Thank you Chancellor
Tanda: The Charity Art Gala and Auction will be held at Majestic Oaks Auction house
Tanda: on August 17th at 8 p.m.
Tanda: by the central skies
Tanda: There has been an effort to collect and display pieces
Tanda: from Meer, Elves, humans, gargoyles
Tanda: etc
Tanda: I hope to perhaps broaden everyone's understanding
Tanda: of the grandeur of culture and art
Tanda: Other than that, Minoc seems to be faring well
John: *nods*
Tanda: and is relatively quiet
DaKaren: That is good to hear.
Tanda: The proceeds will be going
Dr Jerred DeSule: What are the proceeds going toward?
Tanda: to help those being displaced in cove
Dr Jerred DeSule: *nod*
Dot Warner: A worthy cause.
DaKaren: Councilor Warner, does the City of Britain have anything to bring before the Council this eve?
Dot Warner: *nods*
Dot Warner: Reports of mongbat activity around Britain have steadily increased.
Dot Warner: This includes a disturbing account that several of the beasts unsuccessfully attempted to lure a farmer's child into the woods two days ago.
Dot Warner: Unsurprisingly, the farmers banded together to, in their words, 'cleanse the area of vermin.' Apparently, this included copious quantities of ale and some minor property damage.
Dot Warner: City guard patrols have been increased and a strict dusk-til-dawn curfew for children under fourteen has been implemented. Children were also instructed to travel in groups of no less than two during daylight hours.
Dr Jerred DeSule: *tilts head*
Dot Warner: Until this problem is resolved, the RSPCA has endorsed a substantial culling of the mongbat horde.
Dot Warner: Said culling has drawn the attention of the Moonglow Mongbat Puffs slaughterhouse, so...expect a sale...if you like those things. *shudders*
Dot Warner: That is all for tonight, thank you.
John: I note as an aside that one of Minoc's traders has slain many mongbats in Britain on his way through of late.
Tanda: *wrinkles face*
Tanda: Mongbat puffs?
John: Moonglow is an odd city.
Tanda: Well she is a feline
John: *nods*
Dot Warner: A disgusting, foul-smelling snack food.
Tanda: I'll pass
Martyna Z'muir: The 'Puffs pre-date Kittie by quite a bit...
Dr Jerred DeSule: *unimpressed expression*
Tanda: wonder if they'd branch off to rat puffs
Tanda: the docks are crawling with them
DaKaren: *wrinkles nose*
DaKaren: I'm glad that I do not actually require food...
DaKaren: Councilor Kittie could not make it this eve, she is on a diplomatic mission in Mireg. She sends her regards.
DaKaren: Councilor Farrah, does the City of Skara Brae have anything to bring before the Council this eve?
Farrah: I have nothing new to add this evening. Everything is the same in Skara. Thank you.
DaKaren: Councilor Jennifer-Marie, does the city of Trinsic have anything to bring before the Council this eve?
Jennifer-Marie: Trinsic is doing well and has nothing out of the ordinary or new to report. Thank you.
DaKaren: Do any of the citizenry have anything to bring before the High Council this eve?
DaKaren: Nay?
DaKaren: Very well...
DaKaren: I hereby adjourn the 510th session of the High Council of Britannia.
DaKaren: Go with the Virtues.
0 x

Return to “High Council Open Forum”