Amendment to the Sixth Constitution of the Kingdom

Communications with the High Council of Britannia.
basil
Apprentice
UO Shard: Great Lakes
Character Age: 0

Amendment to the Sixth Constitution of the Kingdom

Post by basil » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:12 pm

The proposed amendment to the Sixth Constitution of the Kingdom of Britannia.

Follow the below link:

http://gl.uorpc.net/downloads/SixthAmendments2.pdf

or

Please see attached PDF:

EDIT 1/26 - NEW DOC UPDATED
Attachments
SixthAmendments2.pdf
Updated Amended Version
(204.64 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
Last edited by basil on Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Ra'Dian Fl'Gith
Citizen

Re: Amendment to the Sixth Constitution of the Kingdom

Post by Ra'Dian Fl'Gith » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:53 pm

Just a few issues that I think need to be directly addressed, with a handful of others that I'll save for another time because I think they would need to be argued in a political manner rather than by letter.

II/A/2 - Chief Justicar rather than Chief Justice... fits the Justicar theme that has been prevalent in Britannian law.

II/D & VII/... - Grand Marshal of Valor or Virtue... a decision needs to be made.

IX/B - I trust that at some point the High Court's charter will be updated to include the Crown Advocate of Justice if this "amendment" is passed.

XI - Not sure what the Councilor Committees are for, but I have extremely strong reservations about setting up the Justice Committee (much less any of them) for direct interference in other branches of the government. The High Council already has a censure process available to it. Overriding the prevailing balance of the branches and placing them entirely in the hands of the Chancellor and the Councilors (ie: legislative... though for some reason the Chancellor has become "executive") is unwise at best. I would suggest the entirety of Article XI be stricken, not the least reason being giving one Councilor more of a vote than another Councilor, which defies definition of the Councilor's voting powers, and obfuscates the need for the Chancellor to cast a deciding vote in particular matters, instead making one Councilor's voice stronger than another in specific affairs (at least potentially).

XVII/A - Should be included somehow in the language of VII/C/... as VII/B handles Officers and VI/C Councilors... the placement of VII/A is strange at best.

XXII/... - Still completely devoid of purpose and against the way the land system actually works; in fact, I dare say that it goes against the original tenets set forth by Lord British.

That's about all I have in regard to the present "amendments" to the "charter."
0 x
Planets come and go. Stars perish. Matter disperses, coalesces, forms into other patterns, other worlds. Nothing can be eternal.

basil
Apprentice

Re: Amendment to the Sixth Constitution of the Kingdom

Post by basil » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:57 am

FILE HAS BEEN UPDATED

II/A/2 - Fixed

II/D & VII - Fixed - Should have been Valor throughout, copy and paste can be a bad thing sometimes

IX/B - Aye, the plan is to place it into the High Court Charter as best as possible. Of course, Tanda is now Chief Justicar, it is her call on what is final, not mine.

XI - The idea was that over the years, the Chancellor has become seen by most as the 'leader' of the Council, thus us needing to give him or her small executive powers because everyone was looking to the Chancellor to push a decision. When it became apparent we were moving towards having Governors have the option to take over as Councilor, it left us with the possibility of having a lot more Councilors. It also gave us the chance to push the power back into the Council's hands. A way to get the Councilors more involved. So far it seems to have been a success. The confirmation hearings were pretty fun and got Councilors more involved than they have been in a long time. It spurred activity, and most stuff that spurs activity is a good thing in my book.

I've defined the extent to what they can do to a Justicar. I've also addressed some of your concerns by adding the ability for the Council by simple majority vote to end the hold. By doing this, I think that solves most of the problem of one Councilor having more voting power. The Chairman of the Confirmation Committee however still retains his tie-breaking power for the obvious reason of needing to fill or deny Minister positions rather than have languish forever. Beyond that, the committees are just a tool for enterprising Councilor to spur Council rp. Something that has sort of languished as things got slow.

XVII/A - Fixed

XXII/... - I was not around for most of the land grab rp that has happened over the years, so I can't really speak to this.
0 x

Return to “High Council Open Forum”