OMG FAVORISM FOR RP'RS

OOC Global Board. This forum is for when you need to rant about UO, a patch, lack of a patch, the state of developer communication, or when that dead horse twitches.
basil
Apprentice
UO Shard: Great Lakes
Character Age: 0

OMG FAVORISM FOR RP'RS

Post by basil » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:20 pm

Really, anyone else think that was probalby about the silliest reaction from a group of players in awhile? I mean c'mon, Thanatos, Martyna, and Malag-aste have been following these quests for awhile now. Without Martyna, probably more than half of those in attendance crying would have never even known events were taking place. I guess I can't be really surprised, I mean this whole damn game has revolved around pleasing that group since the seers were fired before.

Now my fear is after both of the EMs had to come and address the crowd after those crybabies that we won't see the EMs give any recognition to the roleplayers that really love the story. Anytime they do anything with us or that directly correlates to us, they are going to get called out for favoritism.

I hope we didn't see something get crapped on for a long while today by those crybabies.
0 x

MalagAste
Grand Marshal (GL)

Re: OMG FAVORISM FOR RP'RS

Post by MalagAste » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:56 pm

Oh I hole heartedly agree. I'm afraid that because we participate and we are actually involved in the plot that they will cry about the EM's furthering the plot with us.

Seems to me that what was intended from the beginning with the EM's was participation with the RP communities. If you read the original post by DEV Draconi he pretty much states right in the storyline of the entire plotline that local governments will be targeted. They will be declared treasonous to Casca and so forth.

Certainly that was the impression I got from reading the initial plot outline. So it would seem to me that the EM's are only doing what was intended. It's too bad the crybabies who are truly and honestly only participating because they "believe" they are going to "get" something some wondrous item... (Which in the case of 99% of them they intend to sell for gold and it has Zero meaning to any of them...) They have to cry about "OMG the role-players who have been participating regularly since the beginning", furthering the plot and as you pointed out if it were not for Martyna most of them wouldn't have a clue what was happening anyway..... got picked for something.... OMG cry me a river.

Personally I fear that it's crybaby assholes like that who ruin the game for everyone crying about how they didn't get recognition for this or that when 90% of the time they are too busy yacking with and whacking one another to notice WTF is going on.
0 x

Martyna Z'muir
Librarian
Character Alignment: Lawful Good
Guild Affiliation: Library of Sosaria
Guild Abbreviation: LofS

Post by Martyna Z'muir » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:30 am

Wheee... It’s not all fire and brimstone, just some sour grapes.

I appreciate the dubious mantle of solely informing the masses about EM events, but its not true. :Shame on you Both EMs have done a good job of promotion with their events. Morton suckered in groups of people before I even knew what was going on, much to my chagrin. With their website and their lanterns they have drawn in more then their fair share. I simply put an RP spin on retelling the events so those who weren’t there can partake vicariously - and hopefully plan on attending inthe future.

Yes, some of those attending don't care about the story, or about how much work it must be to do these events, and are just there for the phat lewtz. So far the only useable lewt obtained form the EMs is pie. Yes, PIE. I secretly think they loathe the pies now since they are pestered with questions about it anytime they appear in public. How can one further their plotline with OOC questions about pie every 10 seconds... Without pulling their hair out? :Think

As to the end of the search for the Bell of Courage... *sigh* What can I say? The three of us didn't get anything from going up on the platform. We answered a question! And then the cries of 'favoritism' start from a few people. Humorously enough, they were from the few people I had placed on ignore because they had proven multiple times that they had the maturity of toddlers. The one who wasn't on ignore had a complete potty mouth throughout the event and should have been ejected by a GM for ToS violations.

To be honest, I'm more annoyed with the people who continue to bring their damn dragons into the Counselor's Hall - or ride their mounts in. Animals outside folks, there will never be combat in the Hall! Unless the children fight, which also needs to stop. If you want to abuse your guildmate, TAKE IT THE F OUTSIDE! :evil:

About 'rewards'... This is a contentious issue. Do I think EA Mythic is handling it right? Honestly, no. Every once in a while it would be nice if there was a trinket (nonweapon, nonarmor) that was part of the event. And I don’t mean an uber rare drop either, as that has bit them in the end far too many times. The sashes are a perfect example of a good item! They are completely useless beyond decoration, and do not effect game balance in any way. The Easter eggs are a slightly touchier item because they came in 'rare' hues which sold for ungodly sums.

I literally have a mint sitting on a table in my office. Three rare eggs and the rose I won from the Valentine’s Day event ages ago. Will I sell them? Hell no. Are they leet pixels? Meh, I don’t care - I enjoyed the events they came from and the memories I have when I look at them. Just like I enjoy the meet and greet sashes and all the books I've collected since the EMs returned (Do you two even know how many you've placed in the 7 months you've been on GL? About 165!) And yes, I like the pie. It is a perversely entertaining item. :twisted:

GL has great EMs, and we are lucky they are masochistic enough to continue to put up what goes on. :Praying Do I hope they continue to interact with the RP community in plotlines and events? Hell yes! Maybe if the kids grew up a bit they might realize its fun in our sandbox too – and I’ve noticed more and more of them are trying… :D

Alright, I’ve babbled long enough. :Brick Wall
0 x

basil
Apprentice

Post by basil » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:35 pm

Well, I'm by no means saying the EM's aren't doing an excellent job promoting their own events. I think they have done an excellent job. Their event site is reliable and updated regularly. However, I doubt the average player went and digged to find the UOEM GL site. I'd bet good money that most of them first heard about it by catching a glimpse on Stratics or something.

My worry really is that rather than Saturday showing the average player to embrace roleplaying on a level comfortable to them, it's going to end up being a reason the EM's have to ignore us. I don't mean out right ignore, but not give us the attention we should get for playing along with the story. Instead, we will probably have to be treated like every other spammer and dope that comes to the event, which is at arm's length.
0 x

Return to “The Ranter's Soapbox”