Really?

OOC Global Board. This forum is for when you need to rant about UO, a patch, lack of a patch, the state of developer communication, or when that dead horse twitches.
basil
Apprentice
UO Shard: Great Lakes
Character Age: 0

Really?

Post by basil » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:58 pm

There's maybe ten people that give a damn about GL RP and the High Council and we've got OOC pissing contests still?

Really?

This sounds like a lot immature crap that really could be done without. It's pretty damn hypocritical to be pointing figures OOC and questioning why someone's character isn't there for a stupid meeting when they are obviously there on an alt. It's not Dak's fault he can't be there, it's mine. Like most people, I have this thing called a job, and it is a pretty important one that sometimes drag me away for WEEKS at a time.

It's throwing stones in a glass house when people who do the same damn thing and disappear without any warning and then go out of contact for a year start questioning people's loyalty. Or how is it that someone that doesn't think the rest of us are good enough to play with her only cares to play when she has a petty fight with someone OOC?

Please explain to me how this is not hypocritical. Please explain to me how this BS doesn't hurt the community. Please explain to me why the hell I and others should want to play when we have the time when we hear about shit like this.

You could fit all the rp'rs into 4x4 room, yet we still haven't gotten the sense that it's just a video game and we need each other to have fun. Maybe it's time to think the Atlantic people had some sense in fleeing this server? I'd sit on that, cause I've been in touch with DaK and Willa to some extent during the time work has kept me away, and to be honest, I don't like the BS I hear.
0 x

Court Courier
Citizen
UO Shard: Great Lakes
Character Age: 0

Re: Really?

Post by Court Courier » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:22 pm

Ra here...

No offense, Basil, but you're exaggerating the situation quite a bit, as are the people telling you about it if they're really conveying it as an OOC pissing contest. No one's been questioning why a character isn't there because they're on an ALT... what has been going on is an IC roleplay line of events that are being both presented and dealt with in an IC manner, at least by the person presenting them. It sounds like some people are blowing it up to an OOC proportion, which, from where I sit, is ludicrous.

First off, whatever's going on between the players on an OOC standpoint has and should have no IC bearing on this. If one person is determining that it is, then that's a determination to be made and kept private, not spread around as gospel.

As far as the points at hand, such as DaKaren being gone for as long as he has been, fine, that's all great and wonderful, but from an IC standpoint, DaKaren and alts are NOT the same person. In fact, I've been goaded by an alt of DaKaren as to why I didn't do anything to rescue DaKaren when I'd been doing nothing but asking for updates, visiting Sacrifice, and all kinds of stuff to make sure that the plotline moved forward. I definitely didn't come here to bitch about it.

Why should you and others want to play when you hear that someone's challenging DaKaren's appearance at the HC? Because it's an RP plotline. Because it's something to do. Personally, while Ra thinks the character in question may be crazy, he's noticed that there is more to her. So would others if they weren't being dismissive simply for the sake of being dismissive.

Frankly, at this point, taking RP opportunities is a good thing. I mean, I had my plans for interaction regarding following up to the DaKaren plotline that will just have to wait until the next HC night because there was no one at tavern night this week... and the things Ra will say in-character might be "questioning DaKaren's loyalty," but from an RP standpoint, they're questions that should be asked, that need to be asked, and they present points of potential RP.

Instead of getting upset because someone doesn't like a particular direction RP is going, why not take the opportunity to interact with the RP in a sense that (1) fits the characters involved and (2) fits the situation at hand. I mean, frankly, behind the scenes bitching about RP that then drag you out of your closet to start berating people over the audacity to do this, that, or the other is a bit silly, isn't it?

How is this... this RIGHT HERE... how is THIS not hurting the community? You've basically said, "Dak, Willa, you're right, you should ignore the RP in question." Meanwhile, it was, is, and remains a point of potential RP.
0 x

Return to “The Ranter's Soapbox”