UO Comes to RL

OOC GLOBAL BOARD: Open Chat.
Willa of the Yew-wood
City Governor
UO Shard: Great Lakes
Character Age: 0

UO Comes to RL

Post by Willa of the Yew-wood » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:53 am

So I was reading the NWJ forums and found this fun forum post (http://nwjguild.proboards.com/thread/23 ... ves-hallow) perhaps you all might enjoy posting on but it made me recall a dream I once had and thought I'd share here and you all can post here what your part would be in the story...
So here goes:

UO comes to RL

I woke early in the morning around 3am to the house trembling. The house shook slightly and windows rattled as I slowly climbed out from under my covers. Pain was my constant companion in the mornings and moving was difficult. Thoughts ran thru my head as I made my way to the door of my bedroom.
What the hell was this? An earthquake, I wondered. I knew they used to happen here in the Midwest, was long told that the Mississippi ran along a fault line. I opened the door and noted a light coming from downstairs. Shakily I made my way down the steps thinking perhaps the shaking had woken my son. When I reached the bottom of the stairs I saw something totally unusual. There was a strange crimson sort of light with almost a lavender hue to it coming from around the basement door. How odd I thought to myself. There aren’t any lights like that downstairs. I thought, oh my God what if it’s a fire! I opened the door but saw no flickering of flames, though I heard a strange humming. It was an almost familiar hum. Something I remember from where I could not recall. I couldn’t just close the door again I had to see what was down there. I stared at the stairs the bane of the house. The stairs were wooden and very old. They were probably built when the house was new some hundred years or more ago. They did not have risers only wooden planks roughly cut and spaced at odd intervals along two old slanted sides they ended in an equally ricked and warped oddly built landing with two slightly more stable steps on it that turned and finished the stair at the concrete floor. The basement was never finished. It was barely more than a root cellar. Infact beyond the room at the bottom of the stair was another room with a dirt floor that extended beneath the downstairs half bath and laundry and part of the kitchen. Those rooms were always cold in the winter. But this was spring and the house was somewhat warm.
I crept slowly down the stairs hoping they held my weight. About half way down I tried to peek at where this light was coming from but couldn’t really see. It was impossible to try to turn around on the tiny stairway so I attempted to move faster which was somewhat easier after you reached the halfway point as the rail was there. Reaching the bottom of the stair I turned and looked into the direction of the light. I’m sure my jaw gapped open as I saw what appeared to be a Felluca Moongate in my basement. I stood shocked and in disbelief shuffling slowly toward the gate. The top and bottom of the gate were not rounded as they had appeared in the game I had played for some fourteen long years but it was certainly a Moongate. The top and bottom looked like rips in the fabric of the air. The gate hummed and the light grew in intensity but the room did stop trembling. I continued to stare into the gate wondering if perhaps I should go upstairs and wake my son or not. Suddenly the gate began to crackle. I stared and moved back slightly as I saw a blackened foot emerge from the gate. My eyes widened as I looked at the foot, I knew this foot. It was black as night and had four toes missing from it. Toes cut clean off it emerged from the gate followed by a muscular leg and then a chiseled but scared body. I could not stop staring at the naked form before me. I knew every inch of this creature, for I had created him. I knew every scar he bore, every tattoo that was emblazoned on his skin. I knew his shock white hair and the violet eyes which quickly turn away. He crumbles to the floor at my feet for a moment, and then he regains strength and begins to rise rather slowly. My eyes grew wider as I watched him stumble slightly. I reached out to steady him my hand touching his flesh. Suddenly a strange sensation passes through my hand and his skin begins to turn tan the black fades to tan radiating from my touch till it completes the transformation. His hair is now blonde and his eyes are now bright blue, he looks almost human. I am almost sad to see him this way. I wonder to myself if I drained him somehow. I stare at him unable to turn or move. He looks at me and smiles. I know that look though all too well. He gazes at me while avoiding my eyes.
The silence between us is broken by the sound of the gate collapsing behind him. It slowly closes and makes a strange crackling sound the light intensifies into a tiny point and then it grows very dark in the room and I realize I never turned on the lights. I stand in the dark almost afraid to move. I hate my basement, and now I have no idea where the stairs are. There is not a single window in the whole of the basement not that it would help much in the night. I feel him take my hand as he guides me toward the stair. Softly he speaks, “I knew you had it in you still. I had to come. I had to warn you.” He tells me as he guides me to the stair. “Watch your step.” He says as I feel him stop and move away from me. “We are at the stairs.” He tells me. I am still blind in the dark. “There is a switch at the top of the stair for the light,” I say pointing toward what I think is the top of the stair. “Switch, right,” I feel him let go my hand and hear the familiar creak of the stair. The light snaps on and then off and back on again as he looks curiously at the switch. “Nice magic, does this light all the lights?” He asks. “Um… no just the few down here.” I manage smiling at his amazement over the simple switch. “We can talk upstairs.”
We move into the livingroom and I get a much better look at him. I still know this body even though it is now very human looking. I find it somewhat comforting. “You’ll need something to wear let me grab something quick.” I tell him as I slip into the laundry room beyond the kitchen. I hand him a pair of worn sweatpants and a t-shirt belonging to my son. I figure they will be somewhat loose on him since my son is rather tall and big. Just then my son emerges from his room, rubbing his eyes. “Who are you….” He begins to ask before stopping and staring at the stranger in our home donning his clothes. “Mom.”
“Zack this is Malag,” I say trying to convince myself I’m awake even.
“I see that. I just…” He breaks off staring.
“Let me try to explain,” Malag smiles at him. “Not very protective but they are comfortable,” he says as he smoothes the fabric and straightens the shirt out. The shirt hangs down almost like a short dress on him. I can’t help but smile. “I had to come and warn you.”
“Yes you said that. Warn me of what?” I ask shaking my head slowly.
“Exodus is planning to destroy your home. We found out just recently. The scholars have been working on some of the musings we have been getting from Exudus’s lair and he’s planning to destroy this planet. Infact and I hate to upset you, we are too late and he’s already sent the weapon on its way.” He tells me.
“What! When? I don’t understand.” I stare at him in shock and disbelief.
“You know our world Sossaria is real. Our world lies far away around another star. King British came back here, to his home world. He was the Avatar you sent to us to destroy Mondain. He tried to bring a few of the shards with him. But when he left they fell to the ground. Apparently the gate only allows you to take things from here to there. It does not work the other way. Hence my coming to you…” He looks down at himself, “Naked.” He smiles at me.
“Oh.” I manage still shocked. “But I… how?”
“You know the tale of Sossaria?”
“Yes of course I do.”
“You know you play a game, in a way. You control me. You created me. You are Mystra Goddess of Magic. You are everywhere.”
“I can’t be I don’t have any magic.” I scoff.
“Sure you do what do you think changed me to human?”
“I don’t… I thought you…” I stammer.
“No it was you. Listen I know this is difficult, but the game, the game is not a game. It’s more of a glimpse into another life. I know you think you are controlling it. And you think it is all make believe but it isn’t. You are living another life, several of them.”
“But I play you.”
“You control me. I am yours. I will always be yours.”
“But Severn, your wife, she is my friend.”
“I know, it’s strange.”
“But she’s married here.”
“I know. It’s ok. We are connected but separate. You see what happens in my life and you think you are controlling it. But honestly you are only watching what unfolds as it is set up for you to see.”
“But those things are set up by the DEV’s. Er Developers of the game.”
“So you are led to believe. Some of them know. Some of them don’t. One of them is Exodus.”
“What! But I… I don’t understand.”
“Listen we have exactly two of your Earth years to gather everyone you can and get them out of here.”
“How… how are we leaving?”
“You will open a gate for us back to Sossaria.”
“I’ll do what?”
“You will open up a gate. Trust me this is something you can do. But you will need help. I know you are the Goddess of Magic and all but this world had very little magic in it. Hence my stumbling when I arrived. It was the magic draining from me and into you. I honestly can’t really explain everything. DaKaren wanted to come but we figured that might be rather a shock and we decided it had to be me, since you know me so well. Willa had offered to come but since she’s bound to her tree she couldn’t. The trip would have killed her.”
“What’s it doing to you? You look so….. human.” I stare at him some more.
“I am aware and I feel rather strange but I honestly had to come. I have to save you. You’ll understand but we really do have to gather your friends and everyone you wish to live.”
“Malag that’s thousands of people, how can we save them all?”
“We’ll have to find a way.”
“But Earth is big. You don’t understand there are millions of people on Earth.”
“Not for long. Trust me it’s coming. The Earth is in danger.”
“What is coming? What do you mean?” I ask dumbstruck.
“Exodus, he sent something here. A beam, directed at your sun. The beam will destroy your sun and this planet will be destroyed.”
“But how? Why?” I ask.
“Does it matter? I don’t know why, perhaps Exodus was tired of being controlled. He is a machine, like many I’m told you have here. He is controlled by a human, here.”
“Why would a human here want to destroy the Earth?” I look at him in shock, my son grabs my hand.
“Mom, why do people fly planes into buildings? Does it really matter?” He says.
“No I never understand those things. But how are we going to save people? No one will believe me.” I say shaking my head.
“I believe,” my son tells me.
“Well… I just….”
“That is why I came. To help them believe. This is why we didn’t just tell you in the game. We could have tried to send you all a message there. But we are not sure how much of that is effected and controlled by Exodus. Besides I think I’m fairly convincing.” He smiles at me.
“Malag I… I don’t know what we are going to do about you. You don’t exist here. I mean you don’t have a birth Certificate or anything. They will think you are an illegal alien. You do have a cute accent though.”
“We have to try to convince your friends. We can start with them. But we also need the Dark Lady.”
“Mesanna? But what if she’s Exodus?”
“Trust me she is not. But you will need her. She too has magic. But we must pray Exodus does not find out or he’ll try to stop us.”
“But I… oh dear, I wish you could have brought some gold. I am not rich you know. I have no idea how we are going to manage this.”
“Start with your friends. Convince them first.”

(From here each of you can write out how you are told, your reaction and how you will help or not… and what character of yours you believe you really are. After all I am the Goddess Mystra. Not one I would ever have picked. But the role was not mine to choose, I am who I am.)
0 x

Return to “General Chat”