Queen's Cup

GL OOC BOARD: Use this forum to ask questions and discuss Bard's Tales, current plots, and new ideas.

Moderators: MalagAste, Tanda Knighthawke

basil
Apprentice
UO Shard: Great Lakes
Character Age: 0

Queen's Cup

Post by basil » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:40 pm

One of the things I have wanted to do for a long time was conduct an arena circuit with a grand tournament. In the past couple of years, it just simply hasn't been feasible with the lack of towns. Now though, with Yew, Jhelom, and Newcastle, we are almost there. Add that I have now acquired a prime spot next to the Skara Brae fairegrounds and an 18x18 right next to Minoc, we now have enough places for arenas on the circuit. With 5 potential cities to house arenas, it is possible.

I wanted to to put this public after talking some with DaKaren, Polynikes, and Silverbrook. I'm going to put some ideas on the board and let people discuss the merits of them.

What I propose...

THE QUEEN'S CUP
An epic competition featuring an epic reward. Your name will be etched in stone as a legend of both sword and sorcery. The Kingdom of Britannia has announced a series of four tournaments across the face of Britannia where warriors and mages will compete for a guaranteed spot in The Queen's Cup and a chance at the winner take all 20,000,000 G prize.

The Queen's Cup is a twelve man tournament held at the Jollier Faireground. Four spots are guranteed (as well as receiving a first round bye) for the winners of the arena circuit tournaments. Eight others will be invited based on points. Points will be collected for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place finishes. A scoreboard will be maintained throughout the cicuit.

Each of the four tournaments will have their own local flavor of rules, regulations, and arena type.

Idea: Note I said twelve competitors including the four guaranteed. We don't have to have all other eight spots dictated by a scoreboard. Maybe six by scoreboard? There could be other events that lead to being eligible for the Cup. Maybe a quest in the community? Maybe we could get Dawn to nominate someone from the hordes that come to Britannian Spy quests.

Love to hear any suggestions or thoughts. As well as rule suggestions for the actual Queen's Cup competition.
0 x

Silverbrook
Noob

Re: Queen's Cup

Post by Silverbrook » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:48 am

I still like this idea.

PvP is a very popular thing, obviously, in UO. I think that stressing RPvP is a selling point to many players, and it would be wonderful to capitalize on that.

Sadly, running a PvP event is not something I myself have ever done, though never say never. :) I did have some discussions with Velt back in the day when he was doing his Tournament of the Spider (or whatever it was called). There would have to be some concessions made due to Trammel (guild wise, so that they could fight), of course.

So, I'm game, if this is still on the table. I suppose I'm saying 'tell me what you'd like me to do to help'... if you all still want to move forward with this, lol.
Last edited by Silverbrook on Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

basil
Apprentice

Post by basil » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:50 pm

Yes, this idea is still very much on :)

Just the other night, I showed Galen, Willa, and Poly the arena I am working on in Minoc which is incorporated in a project I intend to propose to Tanda. As an arena, an hour or two of hard work and it is ready to go. It is probably where the first tournament for the Cup will happen unless one of the other town gets up running earlier.

Polynikes has started scouring Yew for a proper place to hold a tournament of their own. I am still not sure if Newcastle will be offering an arena yet as they used to have one but no longer do. That leaves us with three arenas now counting the one I have in Skara Brae that I haven't started work on yet. My plan for Skara Brae is to have a design contest for it with a reward of significant gold. Either way, we need four arenas to make it work. If Jhelom wants to build it's own or join forces with Skara Brae or another city, any of those choices would be great.

Overall I see the final tournament, aka the Queen's Cup being limited to twelve people. The first four consisting of the winners, who will get a bye. The next four will be the next top four point holders on the Points Ladder. First, second, third, and fourth places will get points from the tournaments. The reasoning why first place gets points when it automatically gets an entry is to determine seeding. The next four will be chosen in some form by the roleplaying community. It could be rewards or a quest from events in game from the community. I'm going to try and get DaKaren to put the top 8 point leaders on a little bar to the right sort of like he does on the left with the calendar of the GL Tribune. This may help drive some traffic this way which may get more people to events? I'm not holding my breath, but sometimes when you throw a lot of ideas at the wall, something eventually turns out to work.

Edit: And if you have an idea for a way to use one of the four 'roleplay' spots, that would also help!.
0 x

basil
Apprentice

Post by basil » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:55 pm

Just wanted to throw out a progress report to any that are still interested in this project.

We've successfully acquire at least four arena plots now. Polynikes will be taking the Wood in Yew. It's a great spot for an arena and I think it will be a boon to the project. Malag has acquired a new 18x18 in Newcastle that will great for a tournament. I've also almost finish the Minoc arena and will be putting up sometime in early November a contest to design the Skara Brae arena.

One thing I have suggested to one individual and should I believe make public is the idea of having roleplaying establishment sponsor the tournaments as sort of free advertising. I had asked Galen if his antique's company would like to advertise as sponsor for a tournament. I'm not saying they have to foot the bill, but what I'm saying is saying maybe Malag has a Newcastle Trading Company that might sponsor the Newcastle tournament, or maybe the Yew Moongate Trading Post for Yew's? We could tag an image along at the end of each announcement for each that would sort of be like Wandering Llama advertisements DaKaren and I did over a year ago. People with actual sites for their groups like SIlver's Magicnia Fund could even have the advertisement serve as a link? Dunno, it just strikes me as a good idea of getting things that support the rp community out there.
0 x

Galen
Fanatic

Post by Galen » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:59 pm

A stupid question.

Why don't you hold a single tournament and see what happens?

Why make the big plans first? Why not hold a single tournament, let the EMs know about it so they can lend what they can, and then build up from there?

-Galen's player
0 x

basil
Apprentice

Post by basil » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:25 pm

Normally starting small would be a good idea, but the goal is to draw people in. Throwing one tournament isn't going to do it unless you announce ahead that it will be a chance at twenty million gold. The last player pvp tournament I read about didn't exactly have the greatest of showings for the decent reward. The EM one draws people in hopes of phat loot, so we have to offer something as close as we can to phat loot. So if we announce there will be a chance at phat loot, people will have questions, so in this case, it probably would be best to be able to answer as many of those questions as possible.

I don't know if the EMs can really lend anything. Their involvement with player run organizations I think has to be in a way that doesn't show outright favoritism. I'm sure they could attend, but I don't think they could provide anything beyond moral support. The Crusade you are holding is a little different since it's more of a player run event tagging on to an already running EM event. This gives them leeway to support. It's a bit like the Blackrock Mines we place in Skara Brae.
0 x

Galen
Fanatic

Post by Galen » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:17 pm

basil wrote:Normally starting small would be a good idea, but the goal is to draw people in. Throwing one tournament isn't going to do it unless you announce ahead that it will be a chance at twenty million gold. The last player pvp tournament I read about didn't exactly have the greatest of showings for the decent reward. The EM one draws people in hopes of phat loot, so we have to offer something as close as we can to phat loot. So if we announce there will be a chance at phat loot, people will have questions, so in this case, it probably would be best to be able to answer as many of those questions as possible.

I don't know if the EMs can really lend anything. Their involvement with player run organizations I think has to be in a way that doesn't show outright favoritism. I'm sure they could attend, but I don't think they could provide anything beyond moral support. The Crusade you are holding is a little different since it's more of a player run event tagging on to an already running EM event. This gives them leeway to support. It's a bit like the Blackrock Mines we place in Skara Brae.

What I had in-mind in terms of EM support was maybe getting those temporary items that they can make (or that Mesanna can make for them), like Severn's wedding dress.

But upon reflection I see that this was foolish to mention at the planning phase, because no one is going to show up to a PvP tournament to see a shirt with a timer on it.

It is a cool thing to have, but not really something you can advertise on.

lol

But yeah I will throw you some money if it'll help.

-Galen's player
0 x

Galen
Fanatic

Post by Galen » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:22 pm

One practical suggestion now that I think about it.

Have an admission fee, add it to the prize in a "winner take all" manner.

PvPers love to put money on the line, or at least love to say they put money on the line.

This way if all you can raise is, say, 20 million, you can still have it be 20 million + everyone's entrance fee. Thus, the more people, the more prize money.

I did that in a "free for all" tournament I held in Jhelom on LS and it worked well.

-Galen's player
0 x

Lord DaKaren
Site Admin
Character Age: 2129
Character Alignment: Lawful Good
Guild Affiliation: Order of the Etheral Ankh
Guild Abbreviation: OEA

Post by Lord DaKaren » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:05 am

One way the EMs could 'help,' were they so inclined, is by having Queen Dawn attend the tournaments. She could have a nice box seat where everyone could see her, thus giving them a little face-time with our somewhat reclusive monarch.

Timered items, such as the tunics given to the Pacific Rares Fest organizers, are unneeded. At least in my mind. While they may add bling for those running the larger events, we don't honestly need such things. Everyone helping out could wear a tunic or shirt made from a specific shade of the Halloween cloth or something similar, bling on our own terms. Also, since we can engrave statues, weapons and armor - winners can take home a physical souviner from each tournament as well.

I'll start work on an appropriate set of graphics and a mock-up leader board this weekend...hopefully.

One thing I'm a bit leery on for the tournament is the idea of an RPer-Only bout. You know someone will complain, spread disinformation, or claim things are "rigged." It’s best that all participants have an equal opportunity in each tournament, no illusions of favoritism for anyone.
0 x
-Lord DaKaren

High Chancellor of Virtue of the High Council of Britannia
Archmage of the Order of the Etheral Ankh

Administrator of UORPC.NET
do you have the character?

Lord DaKaren
Site Admin
Character Age: 2129
Character Alignment: Lawful Good
Guild Affiliation: Order of the Etheral Ankh