Feedback On 08/10/09 Caravan

GL OOC BOARD: Use this forum to ask questions and discuss Bard's Tales, current plots, and new ideas.

Moderators: MalagAste, Tanda Knighthawke

basil
Apprentice
UO Shard: Great Lakes
Character Age: 0

Feedback On 08/10/09 Caravan

Post by basil » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:52 am

Alright, I've never done this before on events I've organized or been involved in, but I've never seen anyone use this forum. I find that to be a goddamn shame as it's probably one of the most, if not the, important forums of the entire index. If there is no chatter in the Springboard, nothing is going to happen and no one is going to know anything. My aversion to something like this before is I am afraid of too much being revealed and there not being any adventure or mystery left, but in the interest of roleplay, I'll try. I'll try even harder not to reveal anything going forward.

I'm going to start with what I felt went well, what didn't, and a short summary of where we are and what we have. Note, below this point may also contain spoiler as to what you could have done but can't now.

Postive:

Well I think the thing I enjoyed the most was having more direct control with how much our characters can accomplish and change the direction. Don't get me wrong, I love all the hard work Iatu and Malachi put into things. We are so lucky to have them. Other shards are very jealous. However, we also know there is only so much of an affect we can have on the story. If the goon squad were allowed to have any serious affect, every character would be dead, killed for phat lewt.

I also thought that the BAF were very inventive in how they approached the quatermaster. The original intent set by us had been for you to merely question Lena, and in exchange for letting her go, reveal the two soldiers in the bar who had two uniforms (Galen!) as well as special papers. Instead, they lure Lena out of her post with Lassie, through the park, and then ambush her and take her clothing. This got Thanatos alone, somewhat suspiciously as he had no papers, into the group. However, they now are short of what could have been two possible uniforms for future use and were lucky to collect an example of travel papers.

Negative:

I think they thing that probably hurt it the most was that it was so long. Thats partially due to matters out of our control and some due to us. First, the attack by the Mondainites kind of threw off how we wanted to make contact. We had hoped you be at the bar drinking, talking about the Chancellor as I slunk in. Instead I recalled in to ToM. Some fallout from that event also distracted one of our event coordinators as they tried to deal with flaring tempers. I also blundered badly when I told you the docks, I had meant to say from the docks to the armory. It wasn't until I was ICQ'd that I found out you were nowhere near.

Also, some points it took us a few moments on how to react to ways you changed the plan. When I say 'plan', I don't mean a straight forward plan. We have some points we would like to accomplish, but none are necessary, we just have to figure out toward what next point we should reroute to and how. We go with setting up the event towards the 'best' guess of where you will go so we can try and play off that best. In all cases last night, we planned wrong from the beginning with the battle, to expecting you not to kill Lena.

Summary of Items
These are the items you currently have at your inventory to help prepare you for Sir Thorn's next contact:
One Uniform
Seven Correspondences
One Code Book
One Travel Paper

Known: Locaction of Chancellor DaKaren

I'd love to hear feedback. What worked? What didn't? Any ideas for future use?
0 x

Lord DaKaren
Site Admin
Character Age: 2129
Character Alignment: Lawful Good
Guild Affiliation: Order of the Etheral Ankh
Guild Abbreviation: OEA

Re: Feedback On 08/10/09 Caravan

Post by Lord DaKaren » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:08 am

It didnt help that that I kept crashing, or that I lost the ability to type several times. Yay for multiclienting!

As for them killing Lena... Bloodthirsty animals! :Applause I kidd.

For the first attempt an event in recent memory, it was a success. Always room for improvement, but as long as everyone enjoyed it thats all that matters. :P

*grumbles about still being in the clutches of militant fascists*
0 x
-Lord DaKaren

High Chancellor of Virtue of the High Council of Britannia
Archmage of the Order of the Etheral Ankh

Administrator of UORPC.NET
do you have the character?

Thanatos Angelos
Noob
Character Age: 0

Post by Thanatos Angelos » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm

Oh... about killing Lena, I had really planned on just clubbing her over the head, but I wasn't exactly sure how to do that.

And as my first RP event ever, I was a bit unrefined, especially to start. :D
0 x

Lord DaKaren
Site Admin
Character Age: 2129
Character Alignment: Lawful Good
Guild Affiliation: Order of the Etheral Ankh
Guild Abbreviation: OEA

Post by Lord DaKaren » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:47 pm

My best advice for RP events is the overused "think outside the box" motto.

Don't be afraid to question things (within the context of your character and the event), and be aware that rarely are things as they appear. Clues might be something very mundane, but could be what 'breaks' the mystery wide open.

I'm often accused of being overly subtle with clues and such, so I try my best to whup people upside the head with my 2x4 of Clueage (TM) when I can. I know that NONE of you are stupid, so I hope to retire the 2x4. :Praying

I want to resurrect the M plotline thats been stalled for a year and a half, you you may want to refresh yourself with Martyna's articles on the subject...

Its not really ready yet, but I'm going to let you into the wiki. If anyone wants to help flesh it out, please contact one of me.. ;) (The wiki is mainly for books and fiction for UO, but would be nice to have it like an RP version of UO Guide with quest and event walkthroughs as well.)

http://lofs.uorpc.net/wiki Click on the Directory and then choose the Martyna Z'muir Archives. Most of the M articles are 2007-2008.

You should also read the Crystalline Darkness story in the Bard's Tales forum. (Just remember that you don't 'know' anything from the story IC)
0 x
-Lord DaKaren

High Chancellor of Virtue of the High Council of Britannia
Archmage of the Order of the Etheral Ankh

Administrator of UORPC.NET
do you have the character?

Return to “Roleplay Springboard”