Where's the roleplay??

GL OOC BOARD: Use this forum to ask questions and discuss Bard's Tales, current plots, and new ideas.

Moderators: MalagAste, Tanda Knighthawke

Tanda Knighthawke
City Governor
UO Shard: Great Lakes
Character Age: 153
Guild Affiliation: TGD/ The Grateful Dead

Where's the roleplay??

Post by Tanda Knighthawke » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:41 pm

I've been hearing bits and pieces in Vent about where's the role play and everything is scheduled now?

I think this is more a comment on A.) Geography-physically where does everyone hang out B.) what times or days are we likely to see characters about.
Rather than: there is no one in character or offering interaction

I've been giving it some thought, in "ye olden days" Great Lakes town of Skara Brae was considered the roleplayers town. It was met with some complaints of "banksitting" and "staging"

So what I'm thinking and mentioned last night in vent is still in the "baking" phase so some input would be good. I don't want this idea to offend anyone or leave them out in the cold NOR is it my intent to create an environment where you can't go anywhere and roleplay your character without fear of being attacked. While the days of watching the BAF chase "evil or the unlawful" around Skara were at times amusing, it also makes it very hard to do the every day character life.

Here is my thought:
Monday we rotate between Tavern night and High Council (so between Compassion Grove which is nearest Brit?) and taverns in Minoc, Newcastle, and someone mentioned Bristlebane but I don't know where that is.

Tuesday is the EM event is a Britain night for most of us

Wednesday:

Thursday: (MOA is this evening 8 p.m.) Vesper (I am Melian this day most of the time)

Friday:

Saturday:(This day is errand and chore day for many so sporadic in numbers online)

Sunday: (This day I know Malag Aste is 99.5% of the time gone)

We have Skara Brae, Newcastle, Yew, Minoc, Moonglow with active player base. What if we were to set say 7 p.m. CST as a standard time IF we're online in our role play character to check into vent and into game in a rotating city.

Now we could host say :
Market day (a weekday where we IC visit some town say Newcastle on Wed) to buy some specialty of the town like wine, reagents, fabric or leather something like that

Vet/Farrier day (say maybe Friday is the day, and IC we bring our beasts of burden to Skara Brae or some other town) The rp purpose for being in town is to have horses shoed, or harnesses repaired, or some other type activity.

Tavern nights would bring us to a rotating city

I think it would be wonderful to have some daily life added to rp, and interaction outside the HC, Tavern or trying to arrest or kill each other. For instance Tanda is the Justicar, and a tavern owner but some where in there she is also an alchemist, witch, scribe, John's companion so shopping, hunter/gatherer and other activities.

For those military types, there is duty, off duty, drinking, chasing women or men, having gear repaired, buying supplies

I know Ra has proposed such things before, but I think we've got a bit better numbers again, and I think though our schedules are rather unpredictable. Often when you see me in icq I'm at my pc but I'm not always in game NOR am I always (rarely in fact) Tanda. I'm typically on Melian working MOA stuff or stocking vendors on my mule and I'm blue.

We don't have to be rigid and lock ourselves into an inflexible menu type arrangement but for those who want some spontaneity and may prefer not to do the vent thing all the time it might open more doors.

So let me know what you think.
0 x

Evillice
Noob
Character Age: 0

Re: Where's the roleplay??

Post by Evillice » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:58 pm

Bristlebane is the new one in Yew, Polynikes has some shiny new buildings now including a newer YM HQ, I had a Tavern below Yew Moongate within the Nameless Buildings (Which I essentially see as a Player Run City) but I revamped it and might be revamping another to help with some Evilness Basil and I are trying to bring out. Its not yet finished with the decorations, but everyone feel free to visit the new graveyard and let me know what you think so far.

Also I tend to run around Yew on my Skeleton, eluding YM or being a minor annoyance when Im on and not training skills. Basil has a Skeleton also.

A Few have tried to get me involved with the Caravans but they are almost always put on when Im working.

If anyone else would like to create a skeletal creature of some type feel free, the RP for these is pretty restrictive (Not sure how many remember Durnik roleplaying the Bone Magi for me) but most of us are veterans.

My Work schedule is Tuesday-Friday 10:30-8:30 and Sat 4-8:30. I have Sunday/Monday off but am usually gone around the time the HC Meetings are, hence why I haven't been seen at the last few.
0 x

Lord DaKaren
Site Admin
Character Age: 2129
Character Alignment: Lawful Good
Guild Affiliation: Order of the Etheral Ankh
Guild Abbreviation: OEA

Post by Lord DaKaren » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:47 pm

I've been taking a bit of a break after the Cure event due to burn out...that was just way, way too much time in game with so little return on investment. I think the best thing to come out of that fiasco was Lavinia and Shandara, it’s always good to meet new friends. Plus, we all proved that we can work together to get something accomplished, we just need to set our sights higher next time. (Not a criticism of what we chose to do, it’s just that none of us expected to get stabbed in the back)

I have been in game, just not necessarily on characters that most people immediately recognize as me...especially on Wednesdays. If anyone needs to talk to a specific character of mine, I can make them more available.

We now have four taverns: The Wild Rose (Newcastle), The Royal Oaks (Newcastle), The Grotto (Minoc), and The Bent Bow (Yew). How we want to determine where Monday's tavern night winds up I leave up to the tavern owners. I can set up another rotating schedule so each tavern gets a Monday, or we can go with something more eclectic (just need to put something concrete on the calendar for Monday's)

Tuesday nights are indeed sucked into EM events, generally taking 1.5-2 hours time. Rarely do we do anything structured afterwards, perhaps this might be a good time for a drink and discussion?

Wednesdays have returned to being B.A.F. muster nights, as well as for caravans and such. These tend to see regular RP with the vikings.

Fridays and Saturdays tend to be the most open, barring an EM event - though real life does tend to have more sway over free time here. These nights see the most dungeon/peerless/champ runs. (I think we're still favoring Covetous L4, Lady M and Medusa)

I think out biggest "problem" is indeed one of geography, we are so spread out that it is hard to find anyone as we're all moving around. Basil and I have talked about a central teleport hub that would allow us to easily move between the RP areas. If everything is linked centrally, and we actually use the links, the chances of running into each other (as well as strangers) goes up. I'd definitely encourage the use of alliance chat, vent, and ICQ to find out who is online. (It's really a shame that UO doesn't have a friends list)

If we want to bank sit, I'd suggest Luna or Britain. Skara Brae, while traditional for GL, doesn't see a lot of random foot traffic. If we're going to stand around somewhere, we may as well do it where we can be seen by (and interact with) the most players.
0 x
-Lord DaKaren

High Chancellor of Virtue of the High Council of Britannia
Archmage of the Order of the Etheral Ankh

Administrator of UORPC.NET
do you have the character?

Galen
Fanatic

Post by Galen » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:16 pm

As I understand this from talking to Tanda in ICQ, basically this is an idea to all informally agree to:

-have a rotating series of places;

-where we all will be when we aren't doing something more specific and are available for interaction; and

-have that rotating series of places keyed in to things we already do.

Of course, no one would be forced or required by the community to be in those places.

Three examples.

On Mondays, when I wasn't doing anything specific, I would be in Minoc, because Minoc is near to the Grotto. (When tavern night rotates with other taverns, I'd be in the cities associated with those other taverns.)

On Tuesdays, when I wasn't doing anything specific, I'd be in Britain, because Britain is where we'd be for the weekly EM Event. However, I may instead choose to spend most of Tuesday in negotiations for the purchase of an item I got at last week's event. (For the record, as far as I'm concerned, this would be perfectly in-character.)

On Wednesdays, when I wasn't doing anything specific, I'd be in Yew or Newcastle, because those are the cities most-associated with the BAF training and patrol.

I know there was more in her post, but that I think is the essentials of the idea.

I do believe I agree with the proposal. I also share her concern that the proposal, if implemented, shouldn't be used as an excuse for constant PvP or aggressive interactions undertaken in place of PvP. All that aggression and constant PvP is not what RP is about. The everyday life of the characters can be RP as well.

But I share the idea that sometimes we just want to interact and it should be easier to find each other. Sometimes Galen just wants to sit at a bank, lean up against the wall, and rest. Or sit in a quiet tavern and drink a cup of coffee. And if someone joins him, then RP can begin. It's been weird every once in awhile going to, say, the Wild Rose, and sitting there, and having no one happen by me, even though I know people are on and not doing anything. And basically it's sometimes just because we are too-scattered around.

I'd also like to say that I do not think the notion that all RP is scheduled these days is not, in the slightest, supportable. (I realize that this wasn't what Tanda's post was about but the fact that it was mentioned in her post means that the notion is, unfortunately, out there.) At worst it's completely made up, at best it has a very, very narrow conception of RP, consisting largely of PvP and in-character smack talk that leads to PvP. Or very specific things related to some plot or other.

I view RP in a much broader way than that. I, for example, am in-character basically every moment I'm in-game with some very, very rare exceptions. When I don't challenge oranges I see it isn't because I'm out-of-character, but because, to avoid constant fighting (constant action is tedious) my character is simply not recognizing the orange. When I see an orange out in the world, I'll wait to be challenged or for something obviously in-character to happen that requires a fight.

-Galen's player
0 x

Gha'val Viaxus
Noob

Post by Gha'val Viaxus » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:56 am

The problem is not the scheduled events. The problem is the off times. There is no one around. I have looked and looked. I might run into a YM from time to time, but its dobutful. While I know that no one wants to just sit and do nothing, I know there are people on. Just they are so spread out that no one can find them. Luna would be fine, or Brit ( would be better I think ) or even New Haven.
0 x

Return to “Roleplay Springboard”