GL OOC BOARD: Open Forum

Moderators: MalagAste, Tanda Knighthawke

Lord Dunamis
Noob
UO Shard: Great Lakes
Character Age: 0

Seeking Ankh of Unity members, and other old friends

Post by Lord Dunamis » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:55 pm

My name is Lord Dunamis, and I am considering a return to UO after well over a decade away. For years, I was very involved in rolpelay on the GL shard. I was the one time governor of Jhelom. I am looking for old friends to see if any of them are still around. Mostly I am looking for members of our old gulid "The Ankh of Unity". Specifically, I am looking for the following people.

Lore Denin - my old guildmaster and great friend
Lady Messenger - my one-time in game wife
Ronin Wanderer - a friend of the guild, and my best in game friend

If any of you are here, or anyone knows if they are still in Great Lakes, please let me know. I am interested in connecting with any other old guildmates and friends as well.
0 x

basil
Apprentice

Re: Seeking Ankh of Unity members, and other old friends

Post by basil » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:25 am

Just to reiterate what was said on Stratics, but Ankh is long gone and most likely you won't find any of them unless it is luck of the draw in general chat (if there are even any former players still playing anymore by different names in new guilds).

Truth is most old UO players are unreachable because the means of communication back in that day was ICQ, IRC, or nothing. Facebook hadn't been invented yet, or for later players, it hadn't really taken off yet so people didn't form ways to contact each other after they stepped away from the game.

Since ICQ or IRC are the only ways to really find them, it's like playing phone tag. Someone will log on ICQ after not having been on for two years and message old friends who aren't currently playing so thus not on ICQ... TAG YOUR IT... so we then wait until one of those a year later decides to pop on and check out, but the initial messenger has lost interest and won't log on again for 2 years to see the reply... I hope that somewhat explains how hard it is to track down former (even current) UO players.
0 x

Lord Dunamis
Noob

Post by Lord Dunamis » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:02 pm

Thanks for the insight. I have been trying multiple boards and icq with no success. I guess the only thing to do is to get into whatever role play community now exists. Maybe some old friends will show up, maybe not. I am exploring what little seems to still exist of the roleplay community, and figure out where is the best place to play, if there even is a best place any more.
0 x

Martyna Z'muir
Librarian
Character Alignment: Lawful Good
Guild Affiliation: Library of Sosaria
Guild Abbreviation: LofS

Post by Martyna Z'muir » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:16 pm

The shards have become very, very different from one another RP-wise in the last 6 years.

Atl seems to be by appointment only, and breaking into their community can be rough if nobody knows you.

Here on GL, while we do schedule things well in advance we also try to leave openings for randomness. Its just a difficult balance to strike when everyone has varying priorities for their playtime/style.

It will take a bit to relearn UO, just give it time.
0 x

Lord Dunamis
Noob

Post by Lord Dunamis » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:20 pm

Thanks Librarian. I see that there is a scheduled event for tonight. Is this something I can just show up for? Is there any additional info on the event somewhere.
0 x

Martyna Z'muir
Librarian
Character Alignment: Lawful Good
Guild Affiliation: Library of Sosaria
Guild Abbreviation: LofS

Post by Martyna Z'muir » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:48 pm

The EM events tend to be somewhat unknown quantities. Their story arcs are largely their own with us being the sometimes-bumbling protagonists.

The EMs have a website, all of which gets copied here, but Tuesday events are the main story-driving days which we only have foreknowledge about from participating in prior weeks.

The current arc has to do with artifacts of Mondain, Minax and the child of Ramuz (a shadowlord). We're only a few weeks into the arc, so we don't really know the full scope of the story yet.

Tonight's event starts at the northern counselor's hall in Britain...or, rather, underneath it... Go inside and double click the suit of armor on the western wall, that will take you to the "secret" base of the Royal Spies.

I strongly suggest you bring your best armor & weapon/spellbook available, as the monsters we will undoubtedly face will rip through Pre-Stygian Abyss armor like a hot knife through butter. Expect to die...repeatedly. You'll be thrown into the deep end, but you'll get to see what goes on these days.
0 x

Return to “General GL Chat”